Professional Clinical Appearance and Attire Policy
The Clinical Appearance and Attire Policy must be strictly followed. Faculty and student comportment directly reflect upon the Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing’s (CELCON) reputation and standing within our communities.
In order to maintain a professional image, any time in uniform each student is expected to follow the CELCON policy along with any additional institutional policies*. Modifications for religious accommodations will be honored.
All clinical attire (whether in-patient or community setting) must be clean and non-wrinkled.
Faculty members may tell a student who is not in compliance with any part of the Clinical Appearance and Attire Policy to leave the clinical setting. The lost clinical time cannot be rescheduled, and a clinical warning may be issued.
A student may receive one warning regarding a policy violation in any area listed below and at such time if possible is expected to immediately correct the issue in order to remain in the Professional Practice Lab/Simulation or clinical/community setting. A second policy violation in any area listed below may result in failure of the course.
Clinical In-Patient Setting Uniforms:
* Clinical uniforms/attire are to be purchased through FlynnO’Hara Uniforms: Ourcompany.flynno’hara.com
* The FlynnO’Hara Lab coat may be worn over the uniform.
* Only plain white or navy blue under shirts with ¾ length sleeves may be worn under the uniform.
* Plain white or black closed-toe and closed-back non-permeable shoes may be worn with white or black stockings or ankle socks. Shoes must not be altered to conceal logos, stripes, or other areas with color.
Community Setting Uniforms:
* The blue CON polo shirts are to be purchased through FlynnO’Hara Uniforms.
* The polo is to be worn tucked in with the same navy blue scrub bottom as the required uniform for in-patient settings.
* Close-back, closed-toe black non-permeable shoes are to be worn with black stockings/ankle socks.
* Shoes must not be altered to conceal logos, stripes, or other areas with color.
Required Clinical Equipment (Purchased through MDA)
* Stethoscope (black or navy)
* Watch with second hand is required
* Bandage scissors
* Students must wear name badges (purchased through FlynnO’Hara Uniforms) as well as the FAU photo ID (Owl Card) or facility issued picture ID whenever entering a clinical setting.
Nails; Hair; Skin
* Nails must be short and clean - no longer than 3mm (1/4 inch).
* No artificial nails, nail polish, nail jewelry
* Hair must be natural in color, worn off the collar (no pony tails or French braids), away from face while in uniform
* Facial hair must be natural in color, clean and trimmed to ¼ inch; otherwise, must be covered
* No visible tattoos/body art
* No artificial eyelashes
* No fragrances are permissible
* No more than 1 small stud earring in each ear is permitted. Loops, hoops, dangle earrings are Not Permitted.
* No tongue jewelry
* No facial piercings/jewelry.
* No other visible body jewelry is permitted.
* Watch with a second hand is required.
* Only a wedding band is permitted.
*When a clinical partner’s clinical attire policy is stricter than the CELCON’s policy, it supersedes the CELCON policy. Based upon input/feedback from clinical partners, the CELCON policy can be updated and enforced at any time.
UPC, April, 2018