Dr. Winland-Brown attended the Intensive Bioethics Course at the Kennedy Institute of Ethics at Georgetown Univ. early in her career and then assisted several facilities in S. FL to initiate ethics committees. She currently sits on several hospitals’ ethics committees. In addition, she has been involved with interdisciplinary education with medicine, nursing and social work surrounding ethical issues. She has published research in medical, nursing, and public policy journals. Several times during the past few years she presented her research as a Visiting Scholar at Oxford Univ. in England.
Dr. Winland-Brown teaches in the RN-BSN program and in the family nurse practitioner tract of the MS program. In addition, she serves on DNP capstone projects and PhD dissertations.
Her research foci are simulation, end-of-life issues, ethics, and moral distress.
Publications: last 5 years only
- Dunphy, LM; Winland-Brown, JE; Porter, BP; & Thomas, D. (2013, 4th ed; 2011, 2007. Primary care: The art and science of advanced practice nursing. With computer disk and e-version. Phila: FA Davis Co.
- Winland-Brown, J. & Dunphy, L.M. (2009 3rd Ed.)(2004, 2000) Adult and family nurse practitioner certification examination: Review questions and strategies. (With computer disk) Phila: F.A. Davis.
- Journal Articles: (* indicates data-based)
- National and International:
- Winland-Brown, J. & Allen, S. (2010). Diagnosis & Management of Foreign Bodies in the Skin. A CE offering in Advances in Skin & Wound Care 23(10), 471-476.
- *Winland-Brown, J.; Chiarenza, D. & Dobrin, A. (2010) Nurse-Physician perspectives on moral distress support the need to create a caring ethical work environment. The Forum on Public Policy 2010(3)
- Winland-Brown, J. & Allen, S. (2010, June. Foreign Bodies in the Skin. Journal for Nurse Practitioners 35(6), 43-47.
- *Winland-Brown, J. & Dobrin, A. (2009). Medical Repatriation: Physicians and Nurses' responses to a dilemma.
Southern Online Journal of Nursing Research Vol.9(4).
- *Winland-Brown,J. & Dobrin, A. (2009). A comparison of physicians' and nurses' responses to selected ethical dilemmas. The Forum on Public Policy. Sept. 2009.
- Appointed to the ANA's Center for Ethics and Human Rights in Washington DC, 2012
- Nurse Educator of the Year for the State from FNA, 2012
- Inducted as a Distinguished Practitioner in the National Academies of Practice - 2009
- Invited as a visiting scholar to Oxford University for a week long think tank on ethics – 2009, 2010
- Nurse of the year - District 40, Florida Nurses Association - 1996
- Distinguished Teacher of the Year- Florida Atlantic University. (the first from the College of Nursing to be recognized) – 1995
- Founder and First President of Iota Xi (chapter of Sigma Theta Tau) 1985
- Served as an officer in the Navy Nurse Corps Reserve, LCDR, left in 2004
- ARNP, Florida Atlantic University (1996)
- EdD, Florida Atlantic University (1983)
- MSN, Boston College (1979)
- BSN, Salve Regina University (1976)
- RN, Newport Hospital School of Nursing (1969)
Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing
We are dedicated to providing you with the best possible customer experience, so please share your honest feedback.