- Nursing Situations in Aging, Chronic Illness, Long-Term & End-of-Life Care
- Population Based Caring in Aging Societies
- Advanced Nursing Practice Grounded in Caring
- Dynamics of Aging
- Perspectives on Aging
- Aesthetics of Aging
- Spiritual Caring
- Creating caring environments in nursing homes
- Spiritual Care in Nursing
- Spirituality in end of life care for elders
- Spirituality and aging
- Cultural diversity in nursing homes
- Care of persons with dementia
- Gerontological nursing education
- Therapeutic interventions for persons with cognitive impairment
- Support and education for caregivers of persons with dementia
- Center of Excellence in Nursing Homes: An International Comparison
- UI and UTI in Subacute Units
- Touhy, T. & Jett, K. (2009). Ebersole and Hess's Gerontological Nursing and Healthy Aging, 3rd Ed. St.Louis: Elsevier.
- Ebersole, P., Hess, P., Touhy, T.; Jett, K. (2008). Toward Healthy Aging. St. Louis: Elsevier. American Journal of Nursing Book of the Year, 2008-2009.
- Ebersole, P., & Touhy, T. (2005). Geriatric Nursing: Growth of a Specialty. New York: Springer Publishing. Selected as an Outstanding Academic Title by Choice Magazine, a publication of the Association of College and Research Libraries.
- Ebersole, P., Hess, P., Touhy, T., & Jett, K. (2005). Gerontological Nursing: Healthy Aging, 2nd Ed., St. Louis: Elsevier. (Selected for the American Journal of Nursing Book of the Year 2005-6).
- Boykin, A., Touhy, T. & Smith, M. (in press for 1/2011 publication). Evolution of a Caring-Based College of Nursing. In Hills, M. and Watson, J., Creating a caring science curriculum: An emancipatory pedagogy for nursing, New York, Springer.
- Touhy, T., Williams, C. (2007). Communicating with older adults. In C. Williams, Therapeutic Interaction in Nursing. New York: Jones and Bartlett.
- Touhy, T. (2006). Spiritual Caring. In J. Zerwekh. Nursing Care at the End of Life. Philadelphia: F. A. Davis.
- Touhy, T. (2001). Advanced Nursing Practice in Long-Term Care. In L. Dunphy and J. Winland-Brown. Primary Care Nursing: A holistic approach. Philadelphia: FA Davis.
- Touhy, T., & Birnbach, N. (2000). Lydia Hall's Theory of Nursing. In M. Parker (Ed.). Nursing Theories, Philadelphia: FA Davis.
- Touhy, T. (1997). Promotion and maintenance of health and function. In Tappen, R.M. Interventions for Alzheimer's Disease. Baltimore: Health Professions Press, 173-196.
- Touhy, T. (1993). The evolution of a caring based program. In Boykin, A. (Ed.). Living a caring based program. New York: NLN Press, 1-10.
- Kongsuwan, W., Keller, K., Touhy, T., & Schoenhofer, S. (2010). Thai Buddhist intensive care unit nurses' perspective of a peaceful death: An empirical study. International Journal of Palliative Nursing, 16(5), 241-247.
- Konssuwan, W., & Touhy, T. (2009). Promoting peaceful death for Thai Buddhists: Implications for holistic end-of-life care. Holistic Nursing Practice 23(5), 289-296.
- Touhy, T., Kydd, A., Fagerberg, I., & Engstrom, G. (2011). International collaboration in gerontological nursing. Journal of Gerontological Nursing 37(3), 3-4.
- Hain, D., Touhy, T., & Engstrom, G. What Matters Most to Carers of People with Mild to Moderate Dementia as Evidence for TransformingCare. Alzheimer's Care Today, 11(3). July-Sept. 2010, 162-170.
- Touhy, T., & Boykin, A. (in press). Caring as the central domain in nursing education. International Journal for Human Caring, 12(2), 8-15. Touhy, T., Strews, W., & Brown, C. (2005). Expressions of Caring as Lived by Nursing Home Staff, Families and Residents, International Journal for Human Caring,9(3), 31-37.
- Touhy, T. (2005). Spiritual Caring: End of Life in a Nursing Home. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 31(9), 27-35. Touhy, T. (2004). Dementia, Personhood, and Nursing: Learning from a Nursing Situation. Nursing Science Quarterly, 17(1), 43-49.
- Tappen, R., Williams-Burgess, C., Fishman, S., & Touhy, T. (1999). Persistence of self in advanced Alzheimer's. Image: Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 31(7), 121-125.
- Touhy, T. Touching the Spirit of Elders in Nursing Homes: Ordinary yet Extraordinary Care (2001). International Journal for Human Caring, 6(1), 12-17.
- Touhy, T. (2001). Nurturing hope and spirituality in nursing homes. Holistic Nursing Practice, 15(4), 45-56.
- Boykin, A., Parker, M., & Touhy, T. (1998). Discovering the beauty of older adults: Opening doors. Journal of Clinical Geropsychology, 4(3), 205-210. (Invited Paper)
- Tappen, R., Williams-Burgess, C., Edelstein, J., Touhy, T., & Fishman, S. (1997). Communicating with individuals with Alzheimer's disease: Examination of recommended strategies. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing,11(5), 249-256.
- Hektor, L., & Touhy, T. (1997). The history of the bath: From art to task. Reflections for the future. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 23(5), 7-16. (Invited Paper)
- Touhy, T. (1997). The complexity of basic care. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 23(5), 5-6.
Recent Refereed Conference Papers/Posters
- June 2011 "An international study on factors affecting the professional esteem of health care professionals/assistants who work with older people." Evidence-based health care – Opportunities for linking health care professionals, patient needs, and knowledge, Ljublijana, Slovenia. With A. Kydd, B. Savic, S. Touzery, M. Galatsch, S. Schmidt, D. Borchatt, Engstrom, G., I. Fagerberg, Ito, M.
- July 2010 "Factors Affecting the Professional Esteem of Health Care Professionals and Carers Working with Older People", Memorial West Hospital Research Day. With A. Kydd and V. Grumme
- Nov 2009 "What matters most to caregivers of persons with mild dementia: Evidence for transforming practice," Gerontological Society of America, Atlanta, Georgia. With D. Hain and G. Engstrom.
- "Hearing the Whole Story: Assessment and Interventions for Individuals and Couples Living with Mild Memory Impairment." State of the Science in Nursing, Washington, D.C., Oct. 2008.
- "Giving Voice to What We Know: Celebrating Caring in Long-Term Care", 10th Annual Gerontology Interest Group, University of the West of Scotland, Oct. 2008.
- "Using Story Theory to Understand the Health Challenge of Living With Mild Memory Loss." Gerontological Society of America. With D. Sparks and D. Hain, 2007.
- "Enhancing Long-Term Care: Hearing the Voices of Staff and Residents." Gerontological Society of America, San Francisco, CA., 2007. "Caring Across Cultures in Nursing Homes" Gerontological Society of America, Orlando, Florida, 2005.
- "More Alike Than Different: Caring Across Cultures in Nursing Homes" International Association for Human Caring Conference, Montreal, Canada. With W.Strews, 2004.
- "Hearing the Voices of Nursing Home Residents and Staff in Research." International Federation on Aging Conference, Copenhagen Denmark, 2006.
- "Spiritual Caring at the End-of-Life in Nursing Homes: Perspectives of nurses, nursing assistants, nurse practitioners, and physicians." Gerontological Society of America, Orlando, Florida, 2005.
- "Spiritual Caring at the End of Life in Nursing Homes." International Association for Human Caring Conference, Montreal, Canada, 2004.
- "Therapeutic Programs for People with Early Memory Loss: More than Support Groups and Day Care." American Society on Aging, San Francisco, CA. With R. Tappen, M. Sparks, L. Waser, L. Zmiachik, 2004.
- "Spiritual caring at the end of life in nursing homes." 2nd Annual Global Conference: Making Sense of Death and Dying, Paris, France, 2003.
- "Caring from the Heart: Voices of Nursing Home Staff." 2003 Joint Conference of the National Council on the Aging and The American Society on Aging, Chicago, Ill. With W. Strews and C. Brown, 2003.
- "Development and Operation of an Interdisciplinary Dementia-Specific Primary Care Clinic." 2003 Joint Conference of the National Council of the Aging and The American Society on Aging, Chicago, Ill. With R. Tappen, M. Kane, P. Kronk, D. Bray, 2003.
- "Creation of a Caring Based Model of Healthcare Delivery in a Skilled Nursing Facility" International Association for Human Caring, Boston, Mass, With Wendy Strews and Cynthia Brown, 2002.
- Distinguished Nursing Alumni, 2009, St. Xavier University, Chicago, Illinois.
- Fulbright Senior Specialist. University of The West of Scotland, Oct. 2008.
- Elected as a Distinguished Practitioner of the National Academies of Practice, Nursing, 2007
- Golden Key Society, Honorary Member, 2006
- Nominated for Nursing Faculty of the Year, Palm Health Foundation
- Phi Kappa Phi, Florida Atlantic University, 2002
- Geriatric Faculty Award: Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing/AACN, 2003
- Nominated for Nursing Faculty of the Year, Palm Health Foundation, 2003
- Distinguished Teacher of the Year, College of Nursing, Florida Atlantic University - 1998, 2002
- Hildegard Peplau/ANF Scholar, 2001
- Florida Atlantic University Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, 2001
- Faculty Participant The End-Of-Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC) sponsored by AACN and the City of Hope, 2001
- Inaugural Award from Virginia Commonwealth University and the Templeton Foundation for development of a course in Spirituality in Nursing, 1999
- Marie Haug Award for Excellence in Aging Research, Case Western Reserve University, 1999
- Cushing and Robb Award for Advanced Study in Nursing, Case Western Reserve University, 1999
- Excellence in Leadership Award, West Palm Beach VAMC, 1996
- American Nurses Association
- Florida Nurses Association
- Sigma Theta Tau International
- Gerontological Society of America
- National Conference of Gerontological Nurse Practitioners
- American Society on Aging
- Reviewer, Journal of Gerontological Nursing
- ANCC Clinical Specialist In Gerontological Nursing Content Expert Panel
- ANCC CNS Role Delineation Study Panel Member, 2003
- Selected as an expert member of the validation panel for GNP Competencies/Nurse Practitioner Specialty Competencies Project sponsored by NOPF and NCGNP, 2001
- DNP, Case Western Reserve University (1999)
- MSN, Northern Illinois University (1979)
- BSN, St. Xavier University - magna cum laude (1967)
- ANCC Clinical Nurse Specialist, Gerontological Nursing
Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing
We are dedicated to providing you with the best possible customer experience, so please share your honest feedback.