Dr. Ruth Tappen is Professor and Christine E. Lynn Eminent Scholar at the College of Nursing, Florida Atlantic University. She was the Founder and Director of the Louis and Anne Green Memory and Wellness Center from 2000-2006. She is an experienced researcher and scholar who has conducted extensive research on issues related to care of individuals with Alzheimer’s and related dementias and care transitions , particularly reduction of hospital readmissions of nursing home residents that are both costly and risky for the resident . Dr. Tappen recently completed a series of studies on the transition from acute care to long-term care and prevention of unnecessary transfers back to acute care. This was done by providing residents and families with information in a patient decision guide about care that can be provide d in nursing homes, risks of acute care and alternatives for end-of-life care. The project supported an interactive website , www.decisionguide.org , and many workshops conducted across the Southeast U.S. to introduce the decision guide to nursing homes across the region.
Dr. Tappen was the Principal Investigator on a recent study called "Fit 2 Drive:Development and Testing of a Driver Risk Predictor for Individuals with AD". The study was funded by the Florida Department of Health Ed and Ethel Moore Alzheimer's Disease Initiative and involved an on-road driving test paired with cognitive assessments to help determine a participant's driving fitness. The study concluded in 2021.
She is currently Co-Investigator in a $2.4 million grant from the National Science Foundation that offers FAU graduate students curriculum in a variety in data science technologies and applications. This project will provide these students the opportunity to gain integrative knowledge through three data science and analytics areas: medical and health care applications, industry applications, and data science and artificial intelligence (AI) technologies.
In September of 2020, she received a $5 million grant from National Institute on Aging entitled for a project entitled, "In-Vehicle Sensors to Detect Cognitive Change in Older Drivers". The study tests a sensor system installed in cars in effort to detect very early subtle signs of change in cognition in older drivers (age 55+). The project is underway and more information can be found at www.drivingproject.org/info .
Dr. Tappen's published books include Interventions for Alzheimer’s Disease: A Caregiver’s Comprehensive Guide and co-authored It Takes More Than Love: A Practical Guide to Taking Care of an Aging Adult with Anita Beckerman. She also authored Nursing Leadership & Management,with the 8th Edition to be released soon: Concepts and Practice and the recently published 3rd edition of Advanced Nursing Research: From Theory to Practice.
Dr. Tappen has served on the Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects at Miami Jewish Home and Hospital for the Aged, as the First Vice President, Southeast Chapter Alzheimer’s Association and Board member, Johnnie B. Byrd, Sr. Alzheimer’s Disease and Research Institute. She is a frequent study panel member for both the National Institute of Health (NIH), and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affair Scientific Review Groups, Rehabilitation Research and Development Service (RR&D).
NGR7822 Measurement in Nursing Research
NGR 7816 Mixed Methods in Practice-Based Research
Funded Research Grants
- 2020 In-Vehicle Sensors to Detect Cognitive Changes in Older Drivers. Funded by National Institute on Aging. Tappen (PI) and Newman (MPI).
- 2020 Vehicular Sensing for Older Drivers’ Cognitive Impairment. Funded by Institute for Sensing and Embedded Network Systems Engineering (I-SENSE) and the College of Engineering. Jang (PI) Tappen (Co-PI).
- 2020 NRT-HDR Graduate Traineeship in Data Science Technologies and Applications. Funded by NSF. Borivoje Furht (PI). Tappen (Co-PI).
- 2019 Fit2Drive: Development and Testing of a Driver Risk Predictor for Individuals with AD. State of Florida Department of Health Ed and Ethel Moore Alzheimer’s Disease Research Program . Tappen (PI) and Newman (Co-PI).
- 2018 Cognitive Support Strategies to Improve Medication Adherence in Older Adults Undergoing Hemodialysis. Keryx Biopharmaceuticals. Hain (PI) & Tappen (Co-PI)
- 2018 Deciding when to stop driving: Reports of persons with dementia and their families. Christine E. Lynn Center for Caring Research Initiative Senior Scientist Awards. Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing. Tappen (PI) and Newman (Co-PI).
- 2017 Reducing Avoidable Hospitalizations Across the Continuum of Care: Dissemination of the Resident and Family Decision Guide, Go to the Hospital or Stay Here? in CMS Region IV. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Tappen (PI) & Wolf (Co-PI).
- 2015 Involving Nursing Home Residents and Their Families in Hospital Transfer Decisions: Dissemination. PCORI, Eugene Washington Engagement Award EAIN-2184. Tappen (PI).
- 2015 Engaging Stakeholders in Implementation of Decision Aids. PCORI, Eugene Washington Engagement Award EAIN-2276. Luckmann (University of Massachusetts), Cooley (Dana Farber Institute), & Tappen (Co-PI).
- 2013-2014 Retirement Research Foundation. Identification of Lifestyle Factors Associated with Glycemic Control in Older Afro-Caribbeans. Ouslander, J., & Tappen, R
- 2013-2014 FAU Seed Grant. Development and Testing of a Functional Scale for Mild Cognitive Impairment. M. Rosselli and R. Tappen (PIs), C. Williams (Co-PI).
- 2012-2016 Implementation of Interventions to Reduce Hospitalizations of Nursing Homes Residents. NIH, NINR R01NR022936. Ouslander (PI), Tappen (MPI).
- 2012-2015 Involving Nursing Home Residents and Families in Acute Care Transfer Decisions. PCORI, Tappen (PI), Ouslander (Co-PI).
- 2012-2013 National Dissemination of INTERACT. Commonwealth Fund. Ouslander (PI), Tappen (Co-PI).
- 2012-2013 Point Click Care. Joseph Ouslander (PI), Tappen (Collaborator)
- 2011-2012 Evaluation of a Pilot Program. Retirement Research Foundation RRF#2011-270. Ouslander (PI), Tappen (Collaborator).
- 2010-2015 Healthy Aging Research Initiative (HARI): Interdisciplinary Research to Improve Quality of Life and Quality of Care for Aging Americans: Ouslander (Co-PI) and Tappen (Co-PI). A study of 800 older adults from the diverse communities of South Florida focused on quality of life (frailty & resilience), health status, cognition and physical performance.
- 2010-2011 Development and Evaluation of a Curriculum on the INTERACT Program. Research Retirement Foundation. Ouslander (PI), Tappen (Investigator).
- 2008-2012 Doctor of Nursing Practice Focused on Caring for a Diverse Aging Population. Funded by HRSA. Bureau of Health Profession, Advanced Nursing Education Tappen
- 2008-2010 Improving the Quality of Nursing Home Care by Reducing Acute Care Hospitalizations. Funded by Commonwealth Fund, BRCH. Tappen, Consultant J. Ouslander, PI.
- 2008-2011 Comparison of Same and Different Rater Evaluations in Dementia. Johnnie B. Byrd Alzheimer Center and Research Institutive. Co-Investigator with Tappen, R. and Williams, C.
- 2008-2009 MCI II –Memory Screening Studies to Detect Progression of Mild Cognitive Impairment in Patients Observed Through the State of Florida Memory Disorder Clinics. Funded by Johnnie B. Byrd Alzheimer Center and Research Institute. D. Sparks, R. Tappen.
- 2007-2012 Delaying the Progression of Driving Impairment in Individuals with Mild Alzheimer’s disease and Mild Cognitive Impairment. Funded by Forest Research Institute. P. Holland, R. Tappen.
- 2007-2015 Health Literacy as it applies to Geriatrics. Promoting Health Literacy in a Diverse Older Population (1 st year). End-of-Life Care (2 nd year). Prevention of Falls in Older Persons (3 rd year) MAGEC, VAMC Miami. Ed Olsen-PI, R. Tappen (Co-PI)
- 2007-2010 Adherence to Treatment Recommendations following Memory Disorder Diagnosis. Funded by Johnnie B. Byrd Alzheimer’s Disease Center and Research Institute. Tappen
- 2007-2009 Enhancing Medical and Nursing Student Basic Competency in AD and Related Dementias Through Inter-Professional Clinical Education. Research Retirement Foundation. Tappen
- 2007 Sustaining the Caregiver. Funded by Boca Raton Community Hospital. Tappen
- 2006-2007 Raised Gardens. $4,760. Funded by Vasquez Foundation. 12/20/06-12/20/07.
- 2006-2007 Clinical Education in Dementia. UMMSM Regional Medical Campus at FAU and MWC joint project. Funded by Research Retirement Foundation. Tappen
- 2006-2007 Mosaic Fund Grantmaking Program. Funded by Community Foundation of Palm Beach County. Tappen
- 2006-2007 Memory Screening Studies to Detect Progression of Mild Cognitive Impaired in Patients Observed Throughout the State of Florida Memory Disorder Clinics. Funded by Johnnie Byrd Sr. Alzheimer’s Center and Research Institute. Tappen
- 2006-2007 National Parkinson Foundation for Parkinson Outreach Center. Tappen
- 2005 Florida Senior Safety Resource Centers at Florida Atlantic University. Funded by Florida Department of Transportation. Tappen
- 2004-2008 Cognitive Retraining for Individuals with Early Stage Alzheimer’s Disease. Funded by Alzheimer’s Association. Tappen
- 2004-2005 Development of an Actively Therapeutic Dementia-Specific Day Program. Funded by Department of Health and Human Services, Administration on Aging. Tappen
- 2004-2006 National Parkinson Foundation for Parkinson Outreach Center. Tappen
- 2004-2005 Outreach Driver Screening for At-Risk Elders Programs. Funded by Boca Raton Community Hospital Foundation. Tappen
- 2004-2007 Effect of Group Based Intervention to Improve Functional Communication in Individuals with Early Alzheimer’s Disease: Funded by Johnnie B. Byrd Alzheimer’s Center & Research Institute. Tappen
- 2002-2003 Driving Cessation: Counseling the Cognitively Impaired Older Driver and Family. Funded by Florida Department of Transportation, Tappen
- 2002-2006 Focus on Ethnogeriatrics in the APGN Curriculum. 1 D09 HP 00364. Funded by DHHS, HRSA, BHP, Advanced Nursing Education.Tappen
- 2002-2005 Minority Supplement for Culture Bias in Testing Expressive Ability in Dementia. NIH, NINR. Tappen
- 2001-2004 Integrating Care Management into Dementia Specific Primary Care. The Retirement Research Foundation.Tappen
- 2001-2004 Integrating Care Management Into Dementia Specific Primary Care. HHS: Administration on Aging. Tappen
- 2001-2006 Culture Bias in Testing Expressive Ability in Dementia. National Institute of Nursing Research NIH. Tappen
- 2000 GAP-Phase I. The Retirement Research Foundation. Tappen
- 2000 State GAP Project. Department of Elder Affairs, State of Florida. Tappen.
- 2000-2001 Minority Supplement Exercise Effect on Function of Residents with AD. National Institute of Nursing Research. Tappen.
- 1998-2003 Blended Role Advanced Practice in Gerontological Nursing. Health Resources & Services Administration. Tappen
- 1998-2004 Therapeutic Conversation with Individuals in the Later Stages of Alzheimer’s Disease: Mental Health Outcome. Miami Jewish Hospital and Home for the Aged, Stein Gerontological Institute. Tappen
- 1997-2004 Effect of Exercise on Function of NH Residents with AD. National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Nursing Research. Tappen
- 1995-1997 Tailored Videos to Promote Self-Care after SNF Discharge. National Institute for Nursing Research.Tappen
- 1992-1996 Project Director: Nurse Managed Family Follow-Up in Long Term Care Project. DHHS Tappen
- 1992-1997 Principal Investigator: Activity vs. Discourse to Improve Communication in Alzheimer's Disease. National Center for Nursing Research. Tappen
- 1988-1989 Florida Nurses Association, District Five Charitable Trust. Support for Women's Health Promotion Project in South Dade County. Tappen
- 1988-1989 Transcultural Nursing Research. National Research Service Award, National Center for Nursing Research. Tappen
- 1987-1988 Preventive Health Practices of Haitian Immigrants. University of Miami Biomedical Research Grant. Awarded by Biomedical Support Program, Division of Research, National Institutes of Health. Tappen
- 1986 1988 Revitalization: A Study of the Effectiveness of a Specific Training Group Approach to Raising and Maintaining Self-Care Levels of Cognitively Impaired Older Adults. Funded the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Tappen
- 1984 -1985 Comparison of Family Function Measures across Cultures. Funded by the American Nurses' Foundation. Tappen
- 1981-1982 Gerontological Nurse Practitioner Program, DHHS, GNM HRA. T. Brower, Director. R. Tappen, Project Evaluator.
- 1980-1983 Description of an Undergraduate Gerontological Nursing Curriculum Project, DHHS BHM HRA. T. Brower, Director. R. Tappen, Curriculum Coordinator.
- Turkel, M,Smith, MC,Tappen, R, Hansell, P, Fawcett, J, Alanbry, T, Drenkard, K. (2021). Chief Nursing Officer Perspectives on Nursing Theory-Guided Practice, JONA: The Journal of Nursing Administration : 51(11); 546-553.
- Holland, P.J., Tappen, R.M., Newman, D., Freeman-Costin, K.C. & Fisher, L.J. (2021) Effect of Memantine on Prolonging Safe Driving in Early AD: A Pilot Study: Effects Of Memantine On Driving Ability. Canadian Geriatrics Journal (in press).
- Tappen, R., Vieira, E. R., Gropper, S. S., Newman, D., & Horne, C. (2021). Sustaining or Declining Physical Activity: Reports from an Ethnically Diverse Sample of Older Adults. Geriatrics (Basel, Switzerland) , 6 (2), 57. https://doi.org/10.3390/geriatrics6020057
- Ouslander, JG, Reyes B, Yang Z, Engstrom, G, Tappen, R, Newman, D & Huckfeldt, PJ (2021). Nursing home performance in a trial to reduce hospitalizations: Implications for future trials . Journal of the American Geriatrics Society , 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.17231
- Porcaro, CK, Singer, C, Djokic, B, Danesh, AJ, Tappen, R, Engstrom, G (2021). Perceived
voice disorders in the elderly and impact on social interaction.
Perspectives of the ASHA
Special Interest Groups, SIG 15.
- Sopcheck, J and Tappen, R (2021). Nursing Home Resident, Family, and Staff Perspectives on Hospital Transfers for End-of-Life Care. OMEGA - Journal of Death and Dying .
- Tappen, RM, Southard, K, Hain, D, Kaye, S and Adonis-Rizzo, MT (2020). Integrating an Evidence-Based Decision Guide on Reducing Hospital Transfers into Long-Term Care Practice: Application of Implementation Science. The Journal of Health Administration Education.
- Tappen, R., Cooley, M., Luckmann, R. and Panday, S. (2020). Digital Health Information Disparities in Older Adults: A Mixed Methods Study. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities . DOI: 10.1007/s40615-020-00931-3
Gropper SS, Exantus M, Jackson KL, Spiers SM, Vieira, ER, D’Avolio D, Opalinski, A &
Tappen, R (2020). Increasing Protein Intake to Help Older Adults Increase Muscle Strength
and Function: A Pilot, Single-Arm Investigation Using Coaching and a Per-Meal Protein Prescription . J Aging Res & Lifestyle. 9:9-13.
- Tappen, R Worch, S, Newman, D & Hain, D (2020). Evaluation of a Novel Decision Guide "Go to the Hospital or Stay Here?" for Nursing Home Residents and Families: A Randomized Trial. Research in Gerontological Nursing.13 (6): 309-319.
Naharci, M.I., Engstrom, G., Keintz, C., Danesh, A., Tappen, R., Ouslander, J.G. (2019). Self
reporting Hearing Loss Associated with Frailty among Afro-Caribbeans. West Indian Medical Journal. 68(1), 29-34. doi:10.7727/wimj.2016.174
- Gropper SS, Tappen RM, Vieira ER. (2019). Differences In Nutritional And Physical Health Indicators Among Older African Americans, European Americans, And Hispanic Americans. J Nutr Gerontol Geriatr. 38(3):205-217. doi: 10.1080/21551197.2019.1628159. Epub 2019 Jun 21. PubMed PMID: 31223069.
- Luckman R, Cooley ME, Tappen RM.(2019). Implementing Decision Aids in Clinical Practice: A Work in (slow) Progress. European journal for person centered healthcare. 7(1). doi: 10.5750/ejpch.v7i1.1614.
- Rosselli M, Tappen RM, Newman D. (2019). Semantic Interference Test: Evidence for Culture and Education Fairness from an Ethnically Diverse Sample in the USA. Arch Clin Neuropsychol. 1;34(3):337-349. doi: 10.1093/arclin/acy037. PubMed PMID: 29688251.
- Wiese, L.K., Williams, C.L., Newman, D., & Tappen, R. M. (2019). An Updated Measure of Alzheimer’s Disease Knowledge for use in Underserved Rural Settings. Journal of Aging and Mental Health . 14: 1-8 doi: 10.1080/13607863.2019.1584880
- Neupane Poudel, B and Tappen, RM (2019). Aging, Subsistence and Happiness. Journal of Art and Aesthetics in Nursing and Health Sciences. 5(1); 16-21.
- Ouslander, J. G., Engstrom, G., Reyes, B., Tappen, R. M., Rojido, C., & Gray-Miceli, D. (2018).Management of acute changes in condition in skilled nursing facilities. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.
- Tappen, R. M., Newman, D. O., Huckfeldt, P., Yang, Z., Engstrom, G. Wolf, D. G., Shutes, J., Rojido, C. & Ouslander, J. G. (2018). Evaluation of nursing facility resident safety during implementation of the INTERACT™ Quality Improvement Program. JAMDA, 19 (10), 907-913.
- Granic, A., Mossop, H., Engstrom, G., Davies, K., Dodds, R., Galvin, J., Ouslander, J. G., Tappen, R. M. & Sayer, A. A. (2018). Factors associated with physical performance measures in a multiethnic cohort of older adults. Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, 4, 2333721418778623.
- Huckfeldt, P. J., Kane, R. L., Yang, Z., Engstrom, G., Tappen, R. M., Rojido, C., Newman, D., Reyes, B., & Ouslander, J. G. (2018). Degree of implementation of INTERACT Quality Improvement Program associated with reduced hospitalizations. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 66 (9), 1830-1837.
- Driscoll, S. D., Tappen, R. M., Newman, D., & Voege‐Harvey, K. (2018). Accuracy of visual inspection performed by community health workers in cervical cancer screening. International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics , 142 (3), 260–269. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijgo.12535
- Rosselli, M., Tappen, R. M., & Newman, D. (2018). Semantic Interference Test: Evidence for Culture and Education Fairness from an Ethnically Diverse Sample in the USA. Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology .
- Rahemi, Z., Williams, C. L., Tappen, R. M., & Engstrom, G. A. (2018). Health-related decisions for serious illness among ethnically diverse older adults. Advances in Nursing Science, 41(1), 84-97. doi:10.1097/ANS.0000000000000192
- Kane, R. L., Huckfeldt, P., Tappen, R., Engstrom, G., Rojido, C., Newman, D., ... & Ouslander, J. G. (2017). Effects of an intervention to reduce hospitalizations from nursing homes: A randomized implementation trial of the INTERACT program. JAMA Internal Medicine, 177(9), 1257-1264.
- Eifert, E. K., Tappen, R. M., & Curtis, B. (2017). A Qualitative Study on Differences in Satisfaction with Services Between Short and Long Term Clients at a Dementia-Specific Adult Day Center. Activities, Adaptation & Aging , 1-24.
- Wiese, L. K., Williams, C. L., Tappen, R., Newman, D., & Rosselli, M. (2017). Assessment of Basic Knowledge About Alzheimer's Disease Among Older Rural Residents: A Pilot Test of a New Measure. Journal of Nursing Measurement , 25 (3), 519.
- Tappen, R. M., Wolf, D. G., Rahemi, Z., Engstrom, G., Rojido, C., Shutes, J. M., & Ouslander, J. G. (2017). Barriers and Facilitators to Implementing a Change Initiative in Long-Term Care Using the INTERACT® Quality Improvement Program. The Health Care Manager , 36 (3), 219-230.
- Koszalinski, R. S., Tappen, R. M., Melhuish, T., & Grumme, V. (2017). Evaluation of a novel communication application from nurses' perspectives. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing .
- Vieira, E. R., Tappen, R., Gropper, S. S., Severi, M. T., Engstrom, G., de Oliveira, M. R., . . . da Silva, R. A. (2017). Changes on walking during street crossing situations and on dorsiflexion strength of older Caribbean Americans after an exercise program: A pilot study. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity , 1-26. doi:10.1123/japa.2016-0231
- Koszalinski, R. S., Tappen, R. M. Hickman, C. & Melhuish, T. (2016). Communication needs of critical care patients who are voiceless. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 34 (8), 339-44.
- Tappen, R. M., Elkins, D., Worch, S., & Weglinski, M. (2016). Modes of decision making used by nursing home residents and their families when confronted with potential hospital readmission. Research in Gerontological Nursing , 9 (6), 288-299.
- Williams, C., Tappen, R., Wiese, L., Newman, D., Corbett, M., Pinos, S., Curtis, B., & Murray, B. (2016). Stress in persons with dementia: Benefits of a memory center day program. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing,30 , 531-538.
- Tappen, R. M., Ramos, J. Z., Newman, D. O. & Newman, M. (2016). Fit2Drive: New App Predicts On-Road Driving Ability in Patients with Dementia. Today’s Geriatric Medicine, 9 (5), 12-15 .
- Tappen, R. M. (2016). They Know Me Here: Patients' Perspectives on Their Nursing Home Experiences. Online Journal of Issues in Nursing , 21 (1), F1.
- Ouslander, J. G., Naharci, I., Engstrom, G., Shutes, J., Wolf, D. G., Alpert, G., Rojido, C., Tappen, R. M. & Newman, D. (2016). Lessons Learned From Root Cause Analyses of Transfers of Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) Patients to Acute Hospitals: Transfers Rated as Preventable Versus Nonpreventable by SNF Staff. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 17 (7), 596-601.
- Ouslander, J. G., Naharci, I., Engstrom, G., Shutes, J., Wolf, D. G., Alpert, G., Rojido, C., Tappen, R. M. & Newman, D. (2016). Root cause analyses of transfers of skilled nursing facility patients to acute hospitals: Lessons learned for reducing unnecessary hospitalizations. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 17 (3), 256-262.
- Naharci, I., Engstrom, G., Tappen, R. M., & Ouslander, J. G. (2016). Frailty in four ethnic groups in south Florida. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 64 (3), 656-657.
- Vieira, E. R., Tappen, R., Engstrom, G., & da Costa, B. R. (2015). Rates and factors associated with falls in older European Americans, Afro-Caribbeans, African-Americans, and Hispanics. Clinical Interventions in Aging, 10 , 1705-1710.
- Bonner, A., Tappen, R., Herndon, L., & Ouslander, J. (2015). The INTERACT Institute: Observations on dissemination of the INTERACT Quality Improvement Program using certified INTERACT trainers. The Gerontologist, 55 (6), 1050-1057.
- Park, J., Engstrom, G., Tappen, R., & Ouslander, J. (2015). Health-related quality of life and pain intensity among ethnically diverse community-dwelling older adults. Pain Management Nursing, 16 (5), 733-742.
- Chiang-Hanisko, L., Williams, C. L., Newman, D., & Tappen, R. M. (2015). Medication use among ethnically diverse older adults in the United States. Research in Gerontological Nursing , 1-13.
- Tappen, R. M., Engström, G. A., & Ouslander, J. G. (2015). Diabetes mellitus risk in older Afro ‐ Caribbeans. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 63 (3), 601-602.
- Koszalinski, R. S., Tappen, R. M., & Viggiano, D. (2015). Evaluation of Speak for Myself with patients who are voiceless. Rehabilitation Nursing, 40 (4), 235-242.
- Tappen, R. M., de los Angeles Ordonez, M., & Curtis, B. (2014). Designing a nurse-managed center grounded in caring: The aesthetics of place and space. Journal of Art and Aesthetics in Nursing and Health Sciences, 2 (1), 22-35.
- Dyess, S. M., Tappen, R., & Hennekens, C. H. (2014). Increasing rates of advance care planning through interdisciplinary collaboration. The American Journal of Medicine, 127 (12), 1142-1143.
- Tappen, R. M., & Valentine, K. (2014). Building and sustaining a caring-based nurse-managed center. The Pennsylvania Nurse, 69 (2), 16.
- Wiese, L. K., Williams, C. L., & Tappen, R. M. (2014). Analysis of barriers to cognitive screening in rural populations in the United States. Advances in Nursing Science, 37 (4), 327-339.
- Tappen, R. M., Worch, S. M., Elkins, D., Hain, D. J., Moffa, C. M., & Sullivan, G. (2014). Remaining in the nursing home versus transfer to acute care: Resident, family, and staff preferences. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 40 (10), 48-57.
- Tappen, R. M., Rosselli, M., Williams, C. L., & Gibson, S. (2014). Multiethnic perspectives on mainstream America. Journal of Cultural Diversity, 21 (2), 67-73.
- Sadule-Rios, N., Tappen, R., Williams, C. L., & Rosselli, M. (2014). Older Hispanics' explanatory model of depression. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 28 (4), 242-249.
- Engstrom, G., Tappen, R.M. & Ouslander, J. (2014). Costs associated with recruitment of study participants in a diverse population of community-dwelling older adults. Nursing Research, 63 (1), 63-67.
- Tappen, R. M., & Hain, D. (2014). The effect of in-home cognitive training on functional performance of individuals with mild cognitive impairment and early-stage Alzheimer's disease. Research in Gerontological Nursing, 7 (1), 14-24.
- McCaffrey, R., Tappen, R., Lichtstein, D., & Friedland, M. (2013). Interprofessional education in community-based Alzheimer's disease diagnosis and treatment. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 27 (6), 534-536.
- Park, J., Hain, D., Tappen, R., Diaz, S., & Ouslander, J. (2012). Factors associated with 30-day readmission among participants in a care transition quality improvement program. Journal of the Society for Social Work and Research, 3 (4), 308-328. doi:10.5243/jsswr.2012.
- Tappen, R.M., Rosselli, M., & Engstrom, G. (2012). Use of the MC-FAQ and MMSE-FAQ in cognitive screening of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and European Americans. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 20 (11), 955-962. doi: 10.1097/JGP.0b0131825d0935.
- Smolar, D. Engström, G., Diaz, S., Tappen, R. & Ouslander, J. (2012). Ethnic differences in Vitamin D insufficiency among south Florida community-dwelling older adults. Journal of American Geriatrics Society, 60 (10), 1990-1991.
- Hain, D., Tappen, R., Diaz, S., & Ouslander, J. (2012). Characteristics of older adults rehospitalized within seven and thirty days of discharge from a community hospital: Implications for nursing practice. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 38 (8), 32-44.
- Buscemi, C., Williams, C., Tappen, R., & Rosselli, M. (2012). Acculturation and health status among Hispanic American elders. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 23 (3), 229-236. doi: 10.1177/1043659612441017.
- Hain, D., Tappen, R., Diaz, S., & Ouslander, J. (2012). Cognitive impairment and medication self-management errors in older adults discharged home from a community hospital. Home Healthcare Nurse, 30 (4), 246-254.
- Lamb, G., Tappen, R., Diaz, S., Herndon, L., & Ouslander, J.G. (2011). Avoidability of hospital transfers of nursing home residents: Perspectives of frontline staff. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 59 (9), 1665-1672. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.03556.x.
- Hain, D., Dunn, D., & Tappen, R. (2011). Patient-provider partnership in a memory disorder center. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 23 (6), 351-356.
- Tappen, R.M., & Gibson, S.E. (2011). Tell us what we can do. Florida Aging Services Providers, 24 , 8. May/June.
- Tappen, R., Gibson, S., & Williams, C.L. (2011). Explanations of AD in ethnic minority participants undergoing cognitive screening. American Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease and Other Dementias, 26 (4), 334-339. doi: 10.1177/1533317511412047.
- Roach, K., Tappen, R., Kirk-Sanchez, N., Williams, C.L., & Loewenstein, D. (2011). A randomized controlled trial of an activity specific exercise program for individuals with Alzheimer’s disease in long term care settings. Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy, 34 (2) 50-56. doi: 10.1519/JPT.0b013e31820aab9c.
- Ouslander, J.G., Lamb, G., Tappen, R., Herndon, L., Diaz, S., Roos, B.A., Grabowski, D.C., & Bonner, A. (2011). Interventions to reduce hospitalizations from nursing homes: Evaluation of the INTERACT II collaborative quality improvement project. Journal of the American Geriatric Society, 59 (4), 745-753. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.033333.x.
- Ouslander, J., Diaz, S., Hain, D., & Tappen, R. (2011). Frequency and diagnoses associated with 7- & 30-day readmission of skilled nursing facility patients to a nonteaching community hospital. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 12 (3), 195-203. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1016/j.jamda2010.02.015.
- Tappen, R.M., & Ouslander, J. (2010). State-of-the-art in longitudinal studies on aging: An overview of the supplement. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 58 (10), S283-286. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.02912.x.
- Tappen, R., Rosselli, M., & Engstrom, G. (2010). Evaluation of the functional activities questionnaire (FAQ) in cognitive screening across four American ethnic groups. Clinical Neuropsychologist, 24 (4), 646-661. PMID: 20473827.
- Williams, C.L., & Tappen, R., Rosselli, M., Keane, F., & Newlin, K. (2010). Willingness to be screened and tested for cognitive impairment: Cross-cultural comparison. American Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease & Other Dementias, 25 (2), 160-166. doi: 10.1177/1533317509352333.
- Tappen, R., & Williams, C.L. (2009). Therapeutic conversation to improve mood in nursing home residents with Alzheimer’s disease. Research in Gerontological Nursing, 2 (4), 267-275. PMID: 20077983.
- Rosselli, M., Tappen, R., Williams, C., Salvatierra, J., & Zoller, Y. (2009). Level of education and category fluency task among Spanish speaking elders: Number of words, clustering and switching strategies. Aging Neuropsychology and Cognition, 16 (6), 721-744. doi: 10.1080/13825580902912739.
- Keane, F., Tappen, R., Williams, C., & Rosselli, M. (2009). Comparison of African American and Afro-Caribbean older adults’ self-reported health, function and health-related behaviors. Journal of Black Psychology, 35 (1), 44-62. doi: 10.1177/0095798408320632.
- Tappen, R., & Williams, C. (2008). Development & testing of the Alzheimer’s Disease & Related Dementias (AD/RD) Mood Scale. Nursing Research, 57 (6), 426-435. PMCID: 2667280.
- Newlin, K., Melkus, S., Tappen, R.M., Chyrin, D., & Koenig, H. (2008). Relationships of religion and spirituality to glycemic control in Black women with type 2 diabetes. Nursing Research, 57 (5), 331-339. PMID: 18794717.
- Robinson, K., & Tappen, R. (2008). Policy recommendations for prevention of violence in long term care facilities: Policy recommendations. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 34 (3), 10-14. PMID: 18350743.
- Williams, C., & Tappen, R. (2008). Exercise training for depressed older adults with Alzheimer’s disease. Aging and Mental Health, 12 (1), 72-80. PMCID: PMC2475651.
- Williams, C.L. & Tappen, R.M. (2007). Effect of exercise on mood in nursing home residents with Alzheimer’s disease. American Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease & Other Dementias, 22 (5), 389-397. doi: 10.1177/153331750730588.
- Folden, S., & Tappen, R. (2007). Factors influencing function and recovery following hip repair surgery. Orthopedic Nursing, 26 (4), 234-241. PMID: 17882100.
- Tappen, R. (2006). Nurse-managed memory disorder clinic puts the emphasis on respect. Reflections On Nursing Leadership, 32 (4), 2p.
- Rosselli, M., Tappen, R., Williams, C., & Salvatierra, J. (2006). The relation of education and gender on the attention items of the Mini-Mental State Examination in Spanish speaking Hispanic elders. Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, 21 (7), 677-686. PMCID: PMC 1949339.
- Jett, K., Tappen, R.M., & Rosselli, M. (2005). Imposed versus involved: Different strategies to effect driving cessation in cognitively impaired older adults. Geriatric Nursing, 26 (2), 111-116. PMID: 15824726.
- Williams, C.L., Hyer, K., Kelly, A., Leger-Krall, S., & Tappen, R.M. (2005). Development of nurse competencies to improve dementia care. Geriatric Nursing, 26 (2), 98-105. PMID: 15824724.
- Tappen, R.M., Whitehead, D., Folden, S.L., & Hall, R. (2003). Effect of a video intervention on functional recovery following hip replacement and hip fracture repair. Rehabilitation Nursing, 28 (5), 148-153. PMID: 15421003.
- Tappen, R.M., Williams, C.L., Barry, C., & DiSesa, D. (2001). Conversation intervention with Alzheimer’s patients: Increasing the relevance of communication. Clinical Gerontologist, 24 (3/4), 63-75. PMCID: PMC2239260.
- Tappen, R.M., & Kronk, P. (2001). Implementation of walking exercise programs for nursing home residents with AD. Research and Practice in Alzheimer’s Disease , 1, 216-221.
- Tappen, R.M., Hall, R.F., & Folden, S. (2001). Impact of comprehensive nurse-managed transitional care. Clinical Nursing Research, 10 (3), 295-313. doi: 1177/10547730122158941.
- Williams, C.L., Tappen, R., Buscemi, C., Rivera, R., & Lezcano, J. (2001). Obtaining family consent for participation in Alzheimer’s research in a Cuban-American population: Strategies to overcome the barriers. American Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease and Other Dementias, 16 (3), 183-187. PMCID: PMC1959408.
- Tappen, R.M., Muzic, J., & Kennedy, P. (2001). Preoperative assessment and discharge planning for older adults undergoing ambulatory surgery. Association of Perioperative Registered Nurses, 73 (2), 464, 469-70. PMID: 11218933.
- Tappen, R.M., Roach, K.E., Applegate, E.B., & Stowell, P. (2000). Effect of a combined walking and conversation intervention on functional mobility of nursing home residents with Alzheimer disease. Alzheimer Disease and Associated Disorders, 14 (4), 196-201. PMCID: PMC1950269.
- Tappen, R.M., Williams, C., Fishman, S., & Touhy, T. (1999). Persistence of self in advanced Alzheimer’s disease. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 31 (2), 121-125. PMCID: PMC1958994.
- Turkel, M., Tappen, R.M., & Hall, R. (1999). Moments of excellence. Nurses’ response to role redesign in long-term care. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 25 (1), 7-12. PMID: 10205418.
- Williams, C.L., & Tappen, R.M. (1999). Can we create a therapeutic relationship with nursing home residents in the later stages of Alzheimer’s disease? Journal of Psychosocial Nursing Mental Health Serv, 37 (3), 28-35. PMCID: PMC1987308.
- Tappen, R.M., & Williams, C. (1998). Attribution of emotion in advanced Alzheimer’s disease: Family and caregiver perspectives. American Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease and Other Dementias, 13 (5), 257-264. doi: 10.1177/153331759801300506.
- Tappen, R.M., Williams-Burgess, C., Edelstein, J., Touhy, T., & Fishman, S. (1997). Communicating with individuals with Alzheimer’s disease: Examination of recommended Strategies. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 11 (5), 249-256. PMCID: PMC1987309.
- Cardona, P., Tappen, R.M., Terrill, M., Acosta, M., & Eusebe, M.I. (1997). Nursing staff time allocations in long-term care: A work sampling study. Journal of Nursing Administration, 27 (2), 28-36. PMID: 9031660.
- Tappen, R.M., Roach, K.E., Buchner, D., Barry, C., & Edelstein, J. (1997). Reliability of physical performance measures in nursing home residents with Alzheimer’s disease. Journal of Gerontology A: Biol Sci Medical Sciences, 52A (1), M52-M55. PMCID: PMC1965283.
- Tappen, R.M., & Andre, S.P. (1996). Inadvertent hypothermia in elderly surgical patients. Association of Perioperative Registered Nurses, 63 (3), 639-644.
- Tappen, R.M., Hall, R.F., Stahura, P., & Blume, L. (1995). Adequacy of preparation for discharge from the rehabilitation units of a long-term care institution. Rehabilitation Nursing Research, 4 (3), 98-103.
- Tappen, R.M., & Barry, C. (1995). Assessment of affect in advanced Alzheimer’s disease: The Dementia Mood Picture test. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 21 (3), 44-46. PMID: 7706649.
- Tappen, R.M. (1994). Development of the refined ADL Assessment Scale. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 20 (6), 36-42. PMID: 8006353.
- Tappen, R.M. (1994). The effect of skill training on functional abilities of nursing home residents with dementia. Research in Nursing & Health, 17 (3), 159-165. PMCID: PMC1952655.
- Tappen, R.M., & Beckerman, A. (1993). A vulnerable population multiproblem: Older adults in acute care. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 19 (11), 38-42. PMID: 8245399.
- Varone, L., Tappen, R.M., Dixon-Antonio, E., Gonzales, I., & Glussman, B. (1992). To restrain or not to restrain: The decision-making dilemma for nursing staff. Geriatric Nursing, 13 (5), 269-272. PMID: 1327990.
- Tappen, R.M., & Weber, M. (1992). Treating clients and families together in an Alzheimer day care center. American Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease and Other Dementias, 7 (6), 24-30. doi: 1177/153331759200700605.
- Tappen, R.M. (1992). Non-pharmacologic treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. American Council on Pharmaceutical Education. (adapted from 1992 original article in Aging and Neuroscience, 1 (1), 9-17).
- Tappen, R.M., & Beckerman, A. (1992). The hospitalized frail older adult. Geriatric Nursing, 40 (3), 149-152.
- Tappen, R.M. (1992). An introduction to non-pharmacological treatment strategies for Alzheimer’s disease. Aging and Neuroscience, 1 (1), 9-17.
- Friedman, R., & Tappen, R.M. (1991). The effect of planned walking on communication in Alzheimer’s disease. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 39 (7), 650-654. PMID: 2061529.
- Tappen, R.M. (1991). Alzheimer’s disease: Communication techniques to facilitate perioperative care. Association of Perioperative Registered Nurses, 54 (6), 1279-1289. PMID: 1768075.
- Tappen, R.M., Sanchez-Murrell, M., Hopkins, S., Donovan, G., & Moore, N. (1990). Challenges for continuing education of public health nurses in Florida. Public Health Nursing, 7 (4), 236-242.
- DeSantis, L., & Tappen, R.M. (1990/November 9-11). Preventive health practices of Haitian immigrants. In J.F. Wang, P.S. Simoni & C.L. Nath (Eds.), Proceedings of the 1990 WVNA Research Symposium: Vision of Excellence: The Decade of the Nineties (pp. 7-15). Charleston, WV: West Virginia Nurses' Association Research Conference Group.
- Brower, H.T., Tappen, R.M. & Weber, M.T. (1988). Missing links in nurse practitioner education. Nursing and Health Care, 9 (1), 33-36.
- Tappen, R.M., & Brower, H.T. (1985). Integrating gerontology into the nursing curriculum: Process and content. Journal of Nursing Education, 24 (2), 80-81.
- Brower, H.T., Kolanowski, A.M., Tappen, R.M., & Dunham, R. (1984). Integration or separation for gerontological nursing education? Gerontology and Geriatrics Education, 5 (2), 45-53.
- Tappen, R.M., & Touhy, T.A. (1983). Group leader—are you a controller? Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 9 (1), 35-59.
- Brower, H.T., Solomon, J., & Tappen, R.M. (1982). A symposium on long term care. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 8 (1), 9-15.
- Tappen, R.M. (1978). Strategies for dealing with conflict: Using confrontation. Journal of Nursing Education, 17 (5), 47-52.
- McLaren, P.M., & Tappen, R.M. (1974). The community nurse goes to jail. Nursing Outlook, 22 (1), 35-39.
- Tappen, R.M. (2022). Advanced Nursing Research: From Theory to Practice (3rd Ed.) . Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Learning. 1st Ed., 2011 , 2nd Ed. 2016
- Weiss, S. & Tappen, R. M. (soon to be released). Essentials of nursing leadership & management (8th Ed.) . Philadelphia: F.A. Davis, Inc., lst Ed., 1998, 2nd Ed., 2001, 3rd Ed., 2003; 4th Ed., 2007; 5th Ed., 2010 . Seventh Edition under contract. Weiss, Tappen, and Grimley.
- Tappen, R.M., (2001). Nursing leadership & management: Concepts and practice (4th Ed.) . Philadelphia: F.A. Davis. 1st Ed., 1983, 2nd Ed., 1984, 3rd Ed., 1995 .
- Beckerman, A.G., & Tappen, R.M. (2000). It takes more than love: A practical guide to taking care of an aging adult . Baltimore, MD: Health Profession Press.
- Tappen, R.M. (1997). Interventions for Alzheimer’s disease: A caregiver’s complete reference. Baltimore, MD: Health Professions Press.
- 2021 Sigma Global Nursing Excellence – Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing – Inducted into Sigma’s International Nurse Researcher Hall of Fame.
- 2021 Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance 2021 World Class Faculty Award Winner.
- 2020 Southern Nursing Research Society – Distinguished Researcher Award Recipient
- 2018 American Journal of Nursing Book of the Year Award for Advanced Nursing Research: From Theory to Practice. Jones and Barlett Learning
- 2018 American College of Health Care Administrators (ACHCA) Board of Directors Journalism Award for Go to the Hospital or Stay Here? A Decision Guide for Patients and Families.
- 2017 American College of Health Care Administrators (ACHCA) presented by the Ohio Chapter. Journalism Award for Go to the Hospital or Stay Here? A Decision Guide for Patients and Families.
- 2017 American Journal of Nursing Book of the Year Award – Third Place in Nursing Research Category for Advanced Nursing Research: From Theory to Practice (2nd Edition)
- 2010 Southern Nursing Research Society. John A. Hartford Foundation Geriatric Research Award recipient. Austin, TX: 02/04/10.
- 1999 Outstanding Service on Alzheimer's Association's Initial Review Board of the Medical and Scientific Advisory Council 1999 Research Grant Program.
- 1994 Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
- 1993 South Florida Nursing Research Society Research Recognition Award
- 1991 Institutional National Research Service Award. University of Arizona College of Nursing. Instruments for Clinical Nursing Research: Measurement of Communication in Alzheimer's disease.
- 1986 Leadership Award for Outstanding Public Health Nursing Leadership from Florida State Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services, Public Health Section.
- 1984 Sigma Theta Tau, Nursing Honor Society
- 1983 Designated American Nurses Foundation Scholar (ANF research grant recipient)
- 1972 - 1974 U.S. Public Health Nurse Traineeship for Graduate Study in Nursing
- 1966 Magna Cum Laude, Wagner College
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Arizona College of Nursing (1992)
- Ed.D, Columbia University (1980)
- M.Ed, Columbia University (1974)
- BSN, Wagner College (1966)
Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing
We are dedicated to providing you with the best possible customer experience, so please share your honest feedback.