Dr. Ruth Tappen is Professor and Christine E. Lynn Eminent Scholar at the College of Nursing, Florida Atlantic University. She was the Founder and Director of the Louis and Anne Green Memory and Wellness Center from 2000-2006. She has been the principal investigator on a number of studies related to management of Alzheimer’s and related memory disorders. She recently completed several major studies which include: Culture Bias in Testing Expressive Ability in Dementia, funded by the National Institute for Nursing Research and Doctor Nursing Practice: Focused on Caring for a Diverse Aging Population, funded by the Division of Nursing, U.S. Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration. Dr. Tappen is Principal Investigator of Involving Nursing Home Residents and Families in Acute Care Transfer Decisions recently funded by PCORI and Co-Principal Investigator of Implementation of Interventions to Reduce Hospitalizations of Nursing Homes Residents funded by NINR, NIH.
Dr. Tappen was the director of a project to implement an innovative model of transitional care in a long-term care facility, Nurse-Managed Family Follow-up in Long Term Care. Her books include Interventions for Alzheimer’s Disease: A Caregiver’s Comprehensive Guide and co-authored It Takes More Than Love: A Practical Guide to Taking Care of an Aging Adult with Anita Beckerman. She also authored Nursing Leadership & Management: Concepts and Practice and the recently published Advanced Nursing Research: From Theory to Practice.
Dr. Tappen has served on the Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects at Miami Jewish Home and Hospital for the Aged, is the First Vice President, Southeast Chapter Alzheimer’s Association and Board member, Johnnie B. Byrd, Sr. Alzheimer’s Disease and Research Institute. She is a frequent study panel member for NIH.
Ongoing Research Support
PFA120001 Tappen (PI), PCORI
Involving Nursing Home Residents and Families in Acute Care Transfer
The major goal of this project is to design and test a new Transfer Decision aid that will better prepare NH residents and their families to participate in making decisions about hospitalizations.
RO1NR012936 Ouslander and Tappen (MPIs), NIH, NINR
Implementing Intervention to Reduce Hospitalizations of Nursing Home Residents
The major goal of this project is to play a critical role in both the new Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) NH Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement requirement and the "triple aim" of improved care, improved health and more affordable care through a rigorous controlled trial of the INTERACT program to reduce unnecessary transfer of NH residents to the hospital.
20120276 Ouslander (PI), Tappen (Co-PI), The Commonwealth Fund
National Dissemination of INTERACT-A Quality Improvement Program for Improving Management of Acute Change in Condition in Nursing Home Residents
The major goals of this project are: 1) improve and finalize the INTERACT program and prepare to bring it to scale nationwide; 2) disseminate the INTERACT program in a relatively low cost model utilizing a certified "INTERACT Trainers"; and 3) monitor implementation and effectiveness in a national sample of NHs in collaboration with Medicare Quality Improvement Organizations (QIOs), Advancing Excellence, and national stakeholder organizations including the American Medical Directors Association (AMDA), the Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association (GAPNA), Leading Age, and the American Health Care Association.
ARG 2008 Tappen (Co-PI-contributed time), Johnnie B. Byrd Alzheimer's Center and Research Institute
Comparison of Same and Different Culture Rater Evaluation in Dementia
The major goal of this project is to identify potential culture bias in observer ratings of cognitive abilities and mood in older adults.
ARG 2007-08 Tappen (PI), Johnnie B. Byrd Alzheimer's Center and Research Institute
Adherence to Treatment Recommendations Following Memory Disorder Diagnosis
The major goal of this project is to test patient and caregiver recall of diagnosis and treatment recommendations immediately after disclosure of a memory disorder diagnosis and three months later.
Health Aging Initiative, Ouslander (PI), Tappen (Co-PI)
FAU Research Priority Award
A three year study of 800 older adults from the diverse communities of South Florida focused on quality of life (frailty & resilience), mental and physical health status, cognition and physical performance.
HRSA-D31H-08830 Tappen (PD), MAGEC (subcontract with UM)
Addressing the Quality of the Nursing Care Provided to the Frailest Portion of the Older Adult Population in South Florida
The goal of this project is to provide the education to nursing home staff to implement the AGS Guidelines for conducting falls screen, assessment and evidenced based interventions.
Ouslander (PI), Tappen (Investigator), Research Retirement Foundation
Development and Evaluation of a Curriculum on the INTERACT Program
The goal of this project was to develop and evaluate a curriculum on the INTERACT program.
Completed Research Support (last 5 years)
Ouslander (PI), Tappen (Co-PI), Commonwealth Fun
Improving the Quality of Nursing Home Care by Reducing Acute Hospitalizations: Refinement and Evaluation of a Toolkit for Health Professionals
The goal of this project was to reduce rehospitalization in 30 nursing homes in 3 states.
RRF#2007-234 Tappen (PI), Retirement Research Foundation
Enhancing Medical and Nursing Students' Basic Competency in AD and Related Dementias through Inter-Professional Clinical Education
The goals of this project were to enhance medical students' and family nurse practitioner students' basic competency in the co-diagnosis, treatment and societal implications of AD and related dementias.
RFA2006-MEM-01-06 Tappen (FAU-PI), Johnnie B. Byrd Alzheimer's Center and Research Institute
Memory Screening Studies to Detect Progression of Mild Cognitive Impairment
The goal of this project was to evaluate the ability of a short series of tests and questionnaires to identify mild memory problems in members of minority groups in the community.
RG-04-1368 Tappen (PI), Alzheimer's Association
Cognitive Retraining for Individuals with Early Stage Alzheimer's Disease
The goal of this project was to evaluate the effectiveness of a 12-week, functionally-oriented, in-home cognitive retraining program for individuals with early stage Alzheimer's disease which was compared with a life story intervention of equivalent intensity and duration.
1D09HP09065-01-00 Tappen (PI), HRSA
Doctor of Nursing Practice: Focused on Caring for a Diverse Aging Population
The major goal of this project is to establish a new DNP degree program at the College of Nursing at Florida Atlantic University that addresses the rapidly expanding & increasingly diverse aging population.
Holland & Tappen (Co-PI), Forest Research Institute
Delaying the Progression of Driving Impairment in Patients with AD and MCI
This project is a double-blind placebo controlled study of medication to delay cognitive impairment and thereby delay cessation of driving.
1D23NU01295 Tappen (PI), HRSA, HHS, BHP
Focus on Ethnogeriatrics in the APGN Curriculum
The major goal of this project was to prepare faculty to teach ethnogeriatric content and skills and to integrate ethnogeriatric content and skills into blended (NP-CNS) role advanced practice in Gerontological nursing specialty track in the master's program.
- McLaren, P.M., & Tappen, R.M. (1978). The community nurse goes to jail. Nursing Outlook, 22(1), 35-39.
- Tappen, R.M. (1978). Strategies for dealing with conflict: Using confrontation. Journal of Nursing Education, 17(5), 47-52.
- Brower, H.T., Solomon, J., & Tappen, R.M. (1982). A symposium on long term care. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 8(1), 9-15.
- Tappen, R.M., & Touhy, T.A. (1983). Group leader—are you a controller? Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 9(1), 35-59.
- Brower, H.T., Kolanowski, A.M., Tappen, R.M., & Dunham, R. (1984). Integration or separation for gerontological nursing education? Gerontology and Geriatrics Education, 5(2), 45-53.
- Tappen, R.M., & Brower, H.T. (1985). Integrating gerontology into the nursing curriculum: Process and content. Journal of Nursing Education, 24(2), 80-81.
- Brower, H.T., Tappen, R.M. & Weber, M.T. (1988). Missing links in nurse practitioner education. Nursing and Health Care, 9(1), 33-36.
- DeSantis, L., & Tappen, R.M. (1990/November 9-11). Preventive health practices of Haitian immigrants. In J.F. Wang, P.S. Simoni & C.L. Nath (Eds.), Proceedings of the 1990 WVNA Research Symposium: Vision of Excellence: The Decade of the Nineties (pp. 7-15). Charleston, WV: West Virginia Nurses' Association Research Conference Group.
- Tappen, R.M., Sanchez-Murrell, M., Hopkins, S., Donovan, G., & Moore, N. (1990). Challenges for continuing education of public health nurses in Florida. Public Health Nursing, 7(4), 236-242.
- Tappen, R.M. (1991). Alzheimer's disease: Communication techniques to facilitate perioperative care. Association of Perioperative Registered Nurses, 54(6), 1279-1289. PMID: 1768075.
- Friedman, R., & Tappen, R.M. (1991). The effect of planned walking on communication in Alzheimer's disease. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 39(7), 650-654. PMID: 2061529.
- Tappen, R.M. (1992). An introduction to non-pharmacological treatment strategies for Alzheimer's disease. Aging and Neuroscience, 1(1), 9-17.
- Tappen, R.M., & Beckerman, A. (1992). The hospitalized frail older adult. Geriatric Nursing, 40(3), 149-152.
- Tappen, R.M. (1992). Non-pharmacologic treatment of Alzheimer's disease. American Council on Pharmaceutical Education. (adapted from 1992 original article in Aging and Neuroscience, 1(1), 9-17).
- Tappen, R.M., & Weber, M. (1992). Treating clients and families together in an Alzheimer day care center. American Journal of Alzheimer's Disease and Other Dementias, 7(6), 24-30. doi: 1177/153331759200700605.
- Varone, L., Tappen, R.M., Dixon-Antonio, E., Gonzales, I., & Glussman, B. (1992). To restrain or not to restrain: The decision-making dilemma for nursing staff. Geriatric Nursing, 13(5), 269-272. PMID: 1327990.
- Tappen, R.M., & Beckerman, A. (1993). A vulnerable population multiproblem: Older adults in acute care. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 19(11), 38-42. PMID: 8245399.
- Tappen, R.M. (1994). The effect of skill training on functional abilities of nursing home residents with dementia. Research in Nursing & Health, 17(3), 159-165. PMCID: PMC1952655.
- Tappen, R.M. (1994). Development of the refined ADL Assessment Scale. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 20(6), 36-42. PMID: 8006353.
- Tappen, R.M., & Barry, C. (1995). Assessment of affect in advanced Alzheimer's disease: The Dementia Mood Picture test. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 21(3), 44-46. PMID: 7706649.
- Tappen, R.M., Hall, R.F., Stahura, P., & Blume, L. (1995). Adequacy of preparation for discharge from the rehabilitation units of a long-term care institution. Rehabilitation Nursing Research, 4(3), 98-103.
- Tappen, R.M., & Andre, S.P. (1996). Inadvertent hypothermia in elderly surgical patients. Association of Perioperative Registered Nurses, 63(3), 639-644.
- Tappen, R.M., Roach, K.E., Buchner, D., Barry, C., & Edelstein, J. (1997). Reliability of physical performance measures in nursing home residents with Alzheimer's disease. Journal of Gerontology A: Biol Sci Medical Sciences, 52A(1), M52-M55. PMCID: PMC1965283.
- Cardona, P., Tappen, R.M., Terrill, M., Acosta, M., & Eusebe, M.I. (1997). Nursing staff time allocations in long-term care: A work sampling study. Journal of Nursing Administration, 27(2), 28-36. PMID: 9031660.
- Tappen, R.M., Williams-Burgess, C., Edelstein, J., Touhy, T., & Fishman, S. (1997). Communicating with individuals with Alzheimer's disease: Examination of recommended Strategies. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 11(5), 249-256. PMCID: PMC1987309.
- Tappen, R.M., & Williams, C. (1998). Attribution of emotion in advanced Alzheimer's disease: Family and caregiver perspectives. American Journal of Alzheimer's Disease and Other Dementias, 13(5), 257-264. doi: 10.1177/153331759801300506.
- Williams, C.L., & Tappen, R.M. (1999). Can we create a therapeutic relationship with nursing home residents in the later stages of Alzheimer's disease? Journal of Psychosocial Nursing Mental Health Serv, 37(3), 28-35. PMCID: PMC1987308.
- Turkel, M., Tappen, R.M., & Hall, R. (1999). Moments of excellence. Nurses' response to role redesign in long-term care. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 25(1), 7-12. PMID: 10205418.
- Tappen, R.M., Williams, C., Fishman, S., & Touhy, T. (1999). Persistence of self in advanced Alzheimer's disease. Image: Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 31(2), 121-125. PMCID: PMC1958994.
- Tappen, R.M., Roach, K.E., Applegate, E.B., & Stowell, P. (2000). Effect of a combined walking and conversation intervention on functional mobility of nursing home residents with Alzheimer disease. Alzheimer Disease and Associated Disorders, 14(4), 196-201. PMCID: PMC1950269.
- Tappen, R.M., Muzic, J., & Kennedy, P. (2001). Preoperative assessment and discharge planning for older adults undergoing ambulatory surgery. Association of Perioperative Registered Nurses, 73(2), 464, 469-70. PMID: 11218933.
- Williams, C.L., Tappen, R., Buscemi, C., Rivera, R., & Lezcano, J. (2001). Obtaining family consent for participation in Alzheimer's research in a Cuban-American population: Strategies to overcome the barriers. American Journal of Alzheimer's Disease and Other Dementias, 16(3), 183-187. PMCID: PMC1959408.
- Tappen, R.M., Hall, R.F., & Folden, S. (2001). Impact of comprehensive nurse-managed transitional care. Clinical Nursing Research, 10(3), 295-313. doi: 1177/10547730122158941.
- Tappen, R.M., & Kronk, P. (2001). Implementation of walking exercise programs for nursing home residents with AD. Research and Practice in Alzheimer's Disease, 5.
- Tappen, R.M., Williams, C.L., Barry, C., & DiSesa, D. (2001). Conversation intervention with Alzheimer's patients: Increasing the relevance of communication. Clinical Gerontologist, 24(3/4), 63-75. PMCID: PMC2239260.
- Tappen, R.M., Whitehead, D., Folden, S.L., & Hall, R. (2003). Effect of a video intervention on functional recovery following hip replacement and hip fracture repair. Rehabilitation Nursing, 28(5), 148-153. PMID: 15421003.
- Williams, C.L., Hyer, K., Kelly, A., Leger-Krall, S., & Tappen, R.M. (2005). Development of nurse competencies to improve dementia care. Geriatric Nursing, 26(2), 98-105. PMID: 15824724.
- Jett, K., Tappen, R.M., & Rosselli, M. (2005). Imposed versus involved: Different strategies to effect driving cessation in cognitively impaired older adults. Geriatric Nursing, 26(2), 111-116. PMID: 15824726.
- Rosselli, M., Tappen, R., Williams, C., & Salvatierra, J. (2006). The relation of education and gender on the attention items of the Mini-Mental State Examination in Spanish speaking Hispanic elders. Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, 21(7), 677-686. PMCID: PMC 1949339.
- Tappen, R.M. (2006). Nurse-managed memory disorder clinic puts the emphasis on respect. Reflections on Nursing Leadership, 34(2). Retrieved from http://www.nursingsociety.org/RNL/Current/features/feature8.html?type=print
- Folden, S., & Tappen, R. (2007). Factors influencing function and recovery following hip repair surgery. Orthopaedic Nursing, 26(4), 234-241. PMID: 17882100.
- Williams, C.L. & Tappen, R.M. (2007). Effect of exercise on mood in nursing home residents with Alzheimer's disease. American Journal of Alzheimer's Disease & Other Dementias, 22(5), 389-397. doi: 10.1177/153331750730588.
- Williams, C., & Tappen, R. (2008). Exercise training for depressed older adults with Alzheimer's disease. Aging and Mental Health, 12(1), 72-80. PMCID: PMC2475651.
- Robinson, K., & Tappen, R. (2008). Policy recommendations for prevention of violence in long term care facilities: Policy recommendations. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 34(3), 10-14. PMID: 18350743.
- Newlin, K., Melkus, S., Tappen, R.M., Chyrin, D., & Koenig, H. (2008). Relationships of religion and spirituality to glycemic control in Black women with type 2 diabetes. Nursing Research, 57(5), 331-339. PMID: 18794717.
- Tappen, R., & Williams, C. (2008). Development & testing of the Alzheimer's Disease & Related Dementias (AD/RD) Mood Scale. Nursing Research, 57(6), 426-435. PMCID: 2667280.
- Keane, F., Tappen, R., Williams, C., & Rosselli, M. (2009). Comparison of African American and Afro-Caribbean older adults' self-reported health, function and health-related behaviors. Journal of Black Psychology, 35(1), 44-62. doi: 10.1177/0095798408320632.
- Rosselli, M., Tappen, R., Williams, C., Salvatierra, J., & Zoller, Y. (2009). Level of education and category fluency task among Spanish speaking elders: Number of words, clustering and switching strategies. Aging Neuropsychology and Cognition, 16(6), 721-744. doi: 10.1080/13825580902912739.
- Tappen, R., & Williams, C.L. (2009). Therapeutic conversation to improve mood in nursing home residents with Alzheimer's disease. Research in Gerontological Nursing, 2(4), 267-275. PMID: 20077983.
- Williams, C.L., & Tappen, R., Rosselli, M., Keane, F., & Newlin, K. (2010). Willingness to be screened and tested for cognitive impairment: Cross-cultural comparison. American Journal of Alzheimer's Disease & Other Dementias, 25(2), 160-166. doi: 10.1177/1533317509352333.
- Tappen, R., Rosselli, M., & Engstrom, G. (2010). Evaluation of the functional activities questionnaire (FAQ) in cognitive screening across four American ethnic groups. Clinical Neuropsychologist, 24(4), 646-661. PMID: 20473827.
- Tappen, R.M., & Ouslander, J. (2010). State-of-the-art in longitudinal studies on aging: An overview of the supplement. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 58(10), S283-286. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.02912.x.
- Ouslander, J., Diaz, S., Hain, D., & Tappen, R. (2011). Frequency and diagnoses associated with 7- & 30-day readmission of skilled nursing facility patients to a nonteaching community hospital. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 12(3), 195-203. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1016/j.jamda2010.02.015.
- Ouslander, J.G., Lamb, G., Tappen, R., Herndon, L., Diaz, S., Roos, B.A., Grabowski, D.C., & Bonner, A. (2011). Interventions to reduce hospitalizations from nursing homes: Evaluation of the INTERACT II collaborative quality improvement project. Journal of the American Geriatric Society, 59(4), 745-753. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.033333.x.
- Roach, K., Tappen, R., Kirk-Sanchez, N., Williams, C.L., & Loewenstein, D. (2011). A randomized controlled trial of an activity specific exercise program for individuals with Alzheimer's disease in long term care settings. Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy, 34(2) 50-56. doi: 10.1519/JPT.0b013e31820aab9c.
- Tappen, R., Gibson, S., & Williams, C.L. (2011). Explanations of AD in ethnic minority participants undergoing cognitive screening. American Journal of Alzheimer's Disease and Other Dementias, 26(4), 334-339. doi: 10.1177/1533317511412047.
- Tappen, R.M., & Gibson, S.E. (2011). Tell us what we can do. Florida Aging Services Providers, 24, 8. May/June.
- Hain, D., Dunn, D., & Tappen, R. (2011). Patient-provider partnership in a memory disorder center. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 23(6), 351-356.
- Lamb, G., Tappen, R., Diaz, S., Herndon, L., & Ouslander, J.G. (2011). Avoidability of hospital transfers of nursing home residents: Perspectives of frontline staff. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 59(9), 1665-1672. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.03556.x.
- Hain, D., Tappen, R., Diaz, S., & Ouslander, J. (2012). Cognitive impairment and medication self-management errors in older adults discharged home from a community hospital. Home Healthcare Nurse, 30(4), 246-254.
- Buscemi, C., Williams, C., Tappen, R., & Rosselli, M. (2012). Acculturation and health status among Hispanic American elders. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 23(3), 229-236. doi: 10.1177/1043659612441017.
- Hain, D., Tappen, R., Diaz, S., & Ouslander, J. (2012). Characteristics of older adults rehospitalized within seven and thirty days of discharge from a community hospital: Implications for nursing practice. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 38(8), 32-44.
- Smolar, D. Engström, G., Diaz, S., Tappen, R. & Ouslander, J. (2012). Ethnic differences in Vitamin D insufficiency among south Florida community-dwelling older adults. Journal of American Geriatrics Society, 60(10), 1990-1991.
- Tappen, R.M., Rosselli, M. & Engstrom, G. (2012). Use of the MC-FAQ and MMSE-FAQ in cognitive screening of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and European Americans. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 20(11), 955-962. doi: 10.1097/JGP.0b0131825d0935.
- Park, J., Tappen, R., Hain, D. Diaz, S. & Ouslander, J. (2012). Factors associated with 30-day readmissions to a south Florida community hospital among participants in a care transition quality improvement program. Journal of the Society for Social Work and Research, 3(4), 308-3328. doi:10.5243/jsswr.2012.
- Smolar, D., Engstrom, G., Diaz, S., Tappen, R., & Ouslander, J. (2012). Gait speed in community-dwelling African-American and Afro-Caribbean older adults. Journal of American Geriatrics Society, 60(12), 2365-2366.
- Tappen, R.M., & Valentine, K. (submitted 11/13/12). Building and sustaining a caring-based nurse managed center: Vision, timing and intestinal fortitude. Pennsylvania Nurse.
- McCafferty, R., Tappen, R., Lichstein, D., & Friedland, M. (submitted 3/5/13). Interprofessional education in community based Alzheimer's disease diagnosis and treatment. Journal of Interprofessional Care.
- Tappen, R.M. (1997). Interventions for Alzheimer's disease: A caregiver's complete reference. Baltimore, MD: Health Professions Press.
- Tappen, R.M., Whitehead, D., & Weiss, S. (2010). Essentials of nursing leadership & management (5th Ed.). Philadelphia: F.A. Davis, Inc., lst Ed., 1998, 2nd Ed., 2001, 3rd Ed., 2004; 4rd Ed., 2007. (2013-6th edition in process)
- Beckerman, A.G., & Tappen, R.M. (2000). It takes more than love: A practical guide to taking care of an aging adult. Baltimore, MD: Health Profession Press.
- Tappen, R.M., (2001). Nursing leadership & management: Concepts and practice (4th Ed.). Philadelphia: F.A. Davis. 1st Ed., 1983, 2nd Ed., 1989, 3rd Ed., 1994.
- Tappen, R.M. (2011). Advanced Nursing Research: From Theory to Practice. Sudbury, MASS: Jones and Bartlett.
- Chapters in Books
- Tappen R., Turkel, M., Hall, R., Stahura P., & Morgan, F.(1997). Nurses in transition: A response to the changing health care system. In S. Moorhead & D.G. Huber (Eds.), Nursing roles: Evolving or recycled. Series on Nursing Administration (pp. 116-127). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Tappen, R. (2001). Alzheimer's Disease. In L. Dunphy & J. Winland-Brown, Primary Care: The art and science of advanced practice nursing (pp. 153-160). Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis.
- Williams CL., & Tappen R. (2007). Communicating with cognitively impaired persons. In C.L. Williams (Ed.), Therapeutic interaction in nursing (pp. 91-101). Boston, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
- Tappen, R.M., Jett, K., & Rosselli, M. (2002). Is driving your best choice? Practical information about driving for people with memory problems. Funded by Florida Department of Transportation.
- Tappen, R.M., Jett, K., & Rosselli, M. (2002). Is it time to stop driving? Plain talk about driving and memory problems. Funded by Florida Department of Transportation.
- Greider, K. (2008, August 15). The ups and downs of outpatient procedures: What you need to know. AARP Bulletin Today.
- 1966 Magna Cum Laude, Wagner College
- 1972 - 1974 U.S. Public Health Nurse Traineeship for Graduate Study in Nursing
- 1983 Designated American Nurses Foundation Scholar (ANF research grant recipient)
- 1984 Sigma Theta Tau, Nursing Honor Society
- 1986 Leadership Award for Outstanding Public Health Nursing Leadership from Florida State Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services, Public Health Section.
- 1991 Institutional National Research Service Award. University of Arizona College of Nursing. Instruments for Clinical Nursing Research: Measurement of Communication in Alzheimer's disease.
- 1993 South Florida Nursing Research Society Research Recognition Award
- 1994 Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
- 1999 Outstanding Service on Alzheimer's Association's Initial Review Board of the Medical and Scientific Advisory Council 1999 Research Grant Program.
- B.S. in Nursing, Magna Cum Laude: Wagner College (1966) - Staten Island, New York.
- M.Ed. in Nursing Education, Community Health: Teachers College, Columbia University (1974) - New York.
- Ed.D. Doctoral Degree in Nursing Education, Curriculum and Instruction: Teachers College, Columbia University (1980) - New York.
- Postdoctoral Fellow: University of Arizona College of Nursing (1992) - Tucson, Arizona