Armiel Suriaga is an instructor at Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing at Florida Atlantic University. He has twenty-five years of nursing experience in rehabilitation nursing, long-term care with focus on Minimum Data Set and Medicare reimbursement, clinical and nursing education. He worked as Resident Assessment Director at Nu Vista Living in Wellington. He also taught NCLEX-RN in one review center in the Philippines.
Armiel graduated as high school class valedictorian, and he pursued his nursing education through scholarships. In 1992, he received his Bachelor of Science in Nursing with honors at West Visayas State University, a top performing nursing school in the Philippines. He completed his MSN at Walden University, major in Nursing Informatics in 2014.
He was selected as one of the top six nurse faculty scholars by Johnson & Johnson-American Association of the Colleges of Nursing for 2018-2019. In 2018, he received a Distinguished Alumni award for Nursing Excellence from West Visayas State University during its 40th anniversary. On the same year, he bagged the Outstanding Alumni award for Nursing Service from Iloilo Science and Technology University. He was also inducted into the Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society.
Armiel is the vice-president of Sigma Theta Tau International, Iota XI chapter at FAU. His research interests include transforming healthcare environment and healthy aging. Among his self-care approaches are traveling, going to the gym, reading and gardening.
Examples of Courses Taught Throughout His Teaching Career
- General Pathophysiology
- Acute Care of Adult Population
- Chronic Care for Adult Nursing Practicum
- Introduction to Professional Nursing Practice
- Medical-Surgical Nursing Practice
- Nutrition for Nurses
- Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing
- Fundamentals of Nursing/Nursing Foundations
- Med-Surg, Chronic Care of Adult Population Clinicals
- Suriaga, A. (2019). Nurse caring: From robotic surgeries to healthcare robots. International Journal for Human Caring, 23(2), 178-184. http://dx.doi.org/10.20467/1091-5710.23.2.178
- Suriaga, A., & Tappen, R. (2020). A systematic review of opioid use in long-term care. Annals of Long-Term Care. (Accepted for publication, in press).
Podium & Poster Presentations
- Suriaga, A. (January 2018). Creating a Healing Environment in Critical Care Nursing. West Visayas State University College of Nursing 40th Anniversary Lecture Series (Podium).
- Tappen, R., Hain, D., & Suriaga, A. (2019). Reducing Avoidable Hospitalizations Across the Continuum of Care in CMS Region IV: A Multi-State CMS Project
- Tappen, R., & Suriaga, A. (February 2019). Decision aid to reduce rehospitalizations of nursing home residents: Translation into clinical practice. 33rd Annual Conference Southern Nursing Research Society (SNRS) (Podium).
- Suriaga, A. (March 2019). Factors predicting opioid use disorder among underserved older adults with chronic pain in South Florida. Sigma IOTA XI Chapter At-Large and Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing Research Conference (Poster).
- Suriaga, A. (April 2019). Evidence-based Medical and Nursing Management Strategies to Delay or Reduce Hospital Readmissions. Abbey Delray South Heath Center Nursing Staff Forum (Non-peer reviewed podium presentation).
- Suriaga, A. (April 2019). Assessment and Management of Urosepsis in Long-term Care Residents. Abbey Delray South Heath Center Nursing & Staff Forum (Non-peer reviewed podium presentation).
- Suriaga, A. (July 2019). The Lived Experience of Healthcare Providers Prescribing Opioids to Underserved Adults with Chronic Pain. A peer-reviewed poster presentation to the 5th FNA Annual Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Practice conference held in Orlando, FL on July 13, 2019.
- Suriaga, A. (November 2019). Factors predicting opioid use disorder among underserved adults with chronic pain. Sigma Theta Tau International. (A poster presentation for Sigma 45th Biennial Convention held in Washington, D.C. on November 16-20, 2019; ID # 98233).
- Suriaga, A. (November 2019). Practicing nurses sharing Pharmacotherapeutic experiences with baccalaureate nursing students: A promising pedagogy. A peer-reviewed poster presentation to the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) Baccalaureate Education Conference in Orlando, FL on November 21-23, 2019.
- 2018-2019 Johnson and Johnson-American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) Nurse Faculty Scholarship Recipient ($18,000.00)
- 2018 Distinguished Alumni Award from West Visayas State University
- 2018 Outstanding Alumni for Nursing Service from Iloilo Science and Technology University
- 2018 Teaching Enhancement Award, Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing, FAU
- 2018 Anne Boykin Institute Summer Academy Scholarship Recipient
- 2018 Omicron Delta Kappa –FAU Chapter Inductee