With over 30 years of healthcare experience, Dr. Shelby brings a vast amount of knowledge and experience to her new position at FAU. Her experience includes multiple board certifications, organizational development, curriculum, and residency development, and over a decade of legal consultant experience. With her years of practice ownership since 2012, Dr. Shelby is an expert in business development and management and owns and operates multiple successful companies and clinics. In 2014, she postponed her law school admission to assist with the healthcare shortage in the underserved populations of New Mexico.
Dr. Shelby has been practicing dermatology since she graduated as a Family nurse Practitioner in January 2000. In 2006, she was accepted into the DNP doctoral program at the University of South Florida (USF). She developed the nation’s first Doctorate of Nursing Practice (DNP) Dermatology Residency and became the first resident to complete the program in 2008. In 2014, she completed her PhD at USF with a cognate focus on biomedical and dermatology research. She has focused her academic and clinical experiences toward the treatment of dermatologic disease and skin cancers.
In 2010, Dr. Shelby founded the National Academy of Dermatology Nurse Practitioners to address the gaps in dermatology NP education and meet the needs of the growing profession. Since the inception, she has served as the President of the National Academy of Dermatology NPs and as a Board Director of the American College of Dermatology NPs. Each year Dr. Shelby serves as the Chair for the NADNP/ACDNP National Conference.
In 2015, Dr. Shelby became one of the first Fellow of the American College of Dermatology Nurse Practitioners (FACDNP). In 2016, she became a Fellow of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (FAANP) in recognition of her national and global contributions in the field of dermatology. Through NADNP, she developed the first non-university based post-graduate dermatology certificate program. To date, she has given over a thousand free registrations to NPs and PAs seeking dermatology education and supports multiple charities through funds received by conference events.
In September of 2012, Dr. Shelby was invited by the Prime Ministry of Health in Singapore to visit the National Skin Center to lecture on advanced practice and education in dermatology. She continues to make international dermatology education a priority and continues to offer free dermatology and wound care education to countries in need.
Past clinical experience includes being a surgical clinical specialist at H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and the Affiliate Director of the DNP Dermatology Program at USF from 2007-2015. Dr. Shelby continues to present nationally, publishes, pursue her interest in research, and has served on various speaker bureaus, advisory and editorial boards.
NADNP/ACDNP Dermatology Certificate Program Lead Instructor/Founder
National Institute for Dermatology
- Creator/Affiliate Director of DNP Dermatology Residency Program, University of South Florida
MSN/DNP Clinical Preceptor/Guest Lecturer, University of South Florida ARNP
Clinical Preceptor University of Tampa
- President, National Academy of Dermatology Nurse Practitioners
- Board Director, American College of Dermatology Nurse Practitioners
- CoreMedSource Education and Practice, Florida Specialty Medical Services, LLC; DistinctlyDerm and Balanced Rejuvenation, LLC.
- American Cancer Society Research Award $30,000
- USF Doctoral Scholarship $10,000
- DNA Career Mobility Award $2,000
- Shelby, D (2014) Knowledge, attitudes, and Practice of Primary Care NPs: Validity and Reliability of a New Instrument. USF Dissertation.
- Shelby, D. (2012). Reducing the Amount of Immediate-Use Sterilization: A Systematic Multidisciplinary Approach. AORN Journal, 96, pp. 496-506
- Shelby, D. (2012). Ulcerations. Advanced for NPs and PAs Website. June Issue.
- Shelby, D. (2012). Practice Tips for Actinic Keratoses. Advanced for NPs and PAs Website. February Issue.
- PhD Foci: Dermatology and Biomedical Research, University of South Florida (2014)
- DNP Dermatology Residency, University of South Florida (2008)
- MSN Family ARNP, Barry University (2000)
- BSN Nursing, Barry University (1998)
- ASN Nursing, Palm Beach Community College (1990)