Joy Longo began her nursing career in New Jersey and found her passion in neonatal nursing. She practiced in level II and level III settings for 22 years. Her extensive experience in the clinical setting led to her research interest in work environments and the relationships in those environments.
- NUR 4165: Nursing Research
- NUR 4945: Evidence-Based Nursing Practice
- NUR 4945L: Evidence-Based Nursing Practice Capstone
- NGR 6812: Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Practice
- NGR 7934: Doctoral Seminar in Advanced Nursing II
- Horizontal violence in nursing
- Healthy work environments
- Neonatal intensive care units (NICU)
- Safety cultures
- Longo, J. & Newman, D. (in press). The development and psychometric testing of a horizontal violence scale. Issues in Mental Health Nursing.
- Longo, J. & Hain, D. (2014). Bullying: A hidden threat to patient safety. Nephrology Nursing Journal , 41(2), 193-199.
- Longo, J. Bullying and the Older Nurse. Journal of Nursing Management 21, 950-955.
- Longo, J. & Dunphy, L. (2012). Postmodern philosophy and qualitative research. In P. Munhall Nursing research: A qualitative perspective (5th ed.) (pp.95-109). Boston: Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
- American Nurses Association (2012). Bullying in the workplace: Reversing a Culture (2012 ed.).
- Silver Spring, Md: American Nurses Association. (Primary Contributor: Joy Longo)
- Longo, J. (2011). Response to chapter by L. Liebovitch, R. Vallacher, A. Nowak, P. Coleman & A. Bartoli, Mathematical models of the dynamics of conflict. In A. Davidson, M. Ray, & M. Turkel (Eds.), Nursing, caring, and complexity science: For human-environment well-being. New York: Springer Publishing Company.
- Longo, J. & Smith. M. (2011). A prescription for disruptions in
- care: Community building among nurses to address horizontal violence Advances in Nursing Science, 34(4), 345-356. doi:10.1097/ANS.0b013e3182300e3e.
- Longo, J. (2011) Acts of caring: Nurses caring for nurses. Holistic Nursing Practice, 25(1), 8-16.
- Longo, J., Dean, A., Norris, S., Wexner, S., & Kent, L. (2011). It starts with a conversation: A community approach to creating healthy work environments. The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing.42(1), 27-35.
- Longo, J. (2010). Getting connected: The use of the internet for nursing research. Southern
- Online Journal of Nursing Research, 10(4), Manuscript 14.
- Longo, J. (Jan. 31, 2010). Combating disruptive behaviors: Strategies to promote a healthy work environment. OJIN: The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, 15(1), Manuscript 5.
- Longo, J. (2009). The relationships between manager and peer caring to registered nurses' job satisfaction and intent to stay. International Journal of Human Caring, 13(2), 26-33.
- Longo, J. & Sherman, R. (2007). Leveling horizontal violence. Nursing Management, 38(3), 34-37, 50-51.
- Longo, J. Building Community for Healthy Work Environments. Christine E. Lynn Center for Caring. ($3000, 7/13-7/14)
- Longo, J. and Dormire, S. The Practice of Translating Evidence in Nursing . Distinction through Discovery, Undergraduate Research and Inquiry QEP. ($5000, 6/13-6/15).
- Longo, J. Building Community through Peace and Power. Florida Atlantic University Division of Research Mentor Grant. Mentor: Dr. Marlaine Smith. ($2,000, 8/10-8/11).
- Longo, J, Principal Investigator. Instrument Development and Psychometric Testing of a Horizontal Violence Measure, American Nurses Foundation/Julia Hardy RN Scholar grant. ($5,000, 8/08-8/10)
- Longo, J, Principal Investigator. Acts of Caring: Nurses Caring for Each Other Christine E. Lynn Center for Caring. ($3,750, 12/07-11/07)
- Longo, J. Student nurses' experiences of horizontal violence in the clinical setting: Do nurses eat their young? (Master's thesis) Iota Xi Chapter Sigma Theta Tau. ($250, 5/03-12/03)
- Master Teacher. Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing (2014)
- "Nurse of the Year" awardee. Palm Healthcare Foundation, Inc. (2014)
- Great 100 Nurses Class of 2013. Florida Nurses Association (2013)
- Commitment to Community Award. Palm Healthcare Foundation, Inc. (2009)
- Nominee, Nurse Educator of the Year. Palm Healthcare Foundation, Inc. (2009)
- Faculty Award. Lynn University (2000)
- Maria LeBrun Nursing Theory Scholarship (1984)
- Academy of Neonatal Nurses
- American Association of Critical Care Nurses
- American Nurses Association
- Southern Nurses Research Society
- Sigma Theta Tau International
- Nursing, Florida Atlantic University (2010)
- Florida Atlantic University (2007)
- Nursing Education Track- Florida Atlantic University (2003)
- Lynn University (2000)
- Diploma in Nursing
- Mountainside Hospital School of Nursing (1984)