Cheryl Krause-Parello completed her PhD in Nursing Research at Rutgers University, where she developed a program of human-animal interaction research. Her dissertation research (2007) examined the relationships among loneliness, pet attachment, social support, and well-being in older adults. The results demonstrated that pet attachment mediated the effect of loneliness on aspects of well-being.
Over the past decade, Krause-Parello has expanded her research and investigates the relationship between human-animal interaction and stress biomarkers in vulnerable populations, including military veterans and children of alleged sexual abuse. The long-term goal of her program of research is to implement effective interventions to modulate the long-term effects of PTSD on returning active duty military and veterans and to identify additional populations where this intervention will be effective. One of Dr. Krause-Parello's prospective goals is to provide the evidence to support changes in public policy so that service dogs are covered as a reimbursable medical expense for those recovering from a service connected condition.
Krause-Parello has developed and is the director of a university-based health research initiative for veterans, Canines Providing Assistance to Wounded Warriors (C-P.A.W.W.)™
She has authored a multitude of peer-reviewed journal publications and has presented at numerous national and international conferences to disseminate her research findings. Dr. Krause-Parello’s work on animal-assisted interventions (AAI) has received national attention from the media, including U.S. News & World Report, NEWS4JAX, 69 WFMZ-TV News, WNDU-Channel 16, WDAM-7, WTMJ-TV Milwaukee, 7News Denver, The American Nurse, Pets in the City, Cat Fancy, USA Weekend, Boca Raton Magazine, Parklander Magazine, and PCORI Digest, to name a few. Krause-Parello serves on nursing journal editorial boards and is a member of several national and international professional organizations related to her discipline.
Dr. Krause-Parello is a Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing (AAN), Faculty Fellow in the Institute for Human Health and Disease Intervention (I-HEALTH) and is an AAN Edge Runner-C-P.A.W.W. In 2019 Dr. Krause-Parello was recognized as a Sharon Phillips Raddock Distinguished Professor in Holistic Health. Dr. Krause-Parello is an American Nurses Foundation Scholar and her research achievements have been recognized by her peers receiving the Florida Nurses Association Icon Award-Nursing Research, American Nurse Today’s Spirit of Caring Award One of Five Finalists, The Rutgers School of Nursing Outstanding Alumnus Award, AAN Raise the Voice: Emerging Edge Runner-C-P.A.W.W., School Nurse Educator of the Year-National Associate of School Nurses, Fellowship in the American Academy of Nursing, American Nursing Association: Denver Metro Regional Nightingale Luminary Award, Jessie M. Scott Award, Institute for Nursing: New Jersey State Nurses Association Diva Honoree Research Award, Ronald E. McNair Program Summer Research Institute Research Mentor Award, Presidential Excellence Award for Scholarship, Faculty Research Mentor of the Year Award, and the National Association of School Nurses Research Recognition Award.
Dr. Krause-Parello continues to expand her involvement in professional research, training, and community engagement to advance the health and well-being of members of the armed forces and their families.
Ongoing or completed within the past 5 years
- Evaluating the Efficacy of a Service Dog Training Program for Military Veterans with PTSD. The National Institutes of Health. Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health & Human Development. 1R21HD097763-01. ($438,787). Role M-PI Krause-Parello & Friedmann) 2/1/2019- 01/31/2021.
- Veterans Action League 2.0: Developing a National Veteran-Centered Chronic Pain Research Agenda. Patient- Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Eugene Washington PCORI Engagement Award (EAIN): Research Support Award ($249,958) (Role: PI-Project Lead) 3/1/2019-2/28/2021.
- Stakeholder-Driven Veteran’s Suicide Protection Advisory Group. Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Tier III Pipeline to Proposal Award ($49,959) (Role: PI-Project Lead). 8/1/17-7/31/18.
- Operation PCOR: Training Veterans as Partners in PTSD Research. Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Eugene Washington PCORI Engagement Award (EAIN): Research Support Award ($250,000) (Role: PI-Project Lead). 10/1/2017-9/30/2019.
- Veterans' Action League (VAL): Building Capacity to Engage Veterans in PCOR and CER Activities. Patient- Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Eugene Washington PCORI Engagement Award (EAIN): Research Support Award ($249,893) (Role: PI-Project Lead) 8/1/2016-11/30/2018.
- Military Veterans and Shelter Dogs: One Rescue at a Time. International Society for Anthrozoology (ISAZ)/Waltham Collaborative Research Award ($50,000) Fort Collins, CO (Role-PI) 8/1/2016- 7/31/2018.
- Stakeholder-Driven Veteran’s Suicide Protection Advisory Group. Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Tier II Pipeline to Proposal Award ($24,931) Denver, CO (Role: PI-Project Lead) 5/1/16-4/30/17.
- Working Dogs for Wounded Warriors: Understanding Patient Stress in Aeromedical Evacuation and the Impact of Animal Assisted Intervention, TriService Nursing Research Program Exploratory Award ($304,325) Andrews Air Force Base, MD (Role: AI) 3/1/2012-4/30/2017.
- C-P.A.W.W.- Canines Providing Assistance to Wounded Warriors. The Bow Wow Buddies Foundation Grant ($25,000) (Role: PI) 7/29/2015.
- Stakeholder-Driven Veteran’s Suicide Protection Advisory Group. Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Tier1 Pipeline to Proposal Award ($14,997) Denver, CO (Role: PI-Project Lead) 5/1/15-2/1/16.
- Canine Visitation and Hospitalized Older Veterans: An Innovative Approach to Impacting Stress Indicators- (Supplemental funding-Immunoglobulin A biomarker) University of Colorado College of Nursing, Office of Research and Scholarship. Intramural Small Grant ($5,000) VA Healthcare System (Role: PI) 9/10/14-12/31/2015.
- Faculty Start-up Research Funds. University of Colorado-College of Nursing ($55,000) Denver, Colorado (Role: PI) 9/7/13-9/7/15.
- Canine Visitation and Hospitalized Older Veterans: An Innovative Approach to Impacting Stress Indicators, Sigma Theta Tau International/The Council of the Advancement of Nursing Science (CANS) ($5,000) VA Healthcare System (Role: PI) 11/01/12-10/31/15.
- Examining Stress Indicators in Sexually Abused Children: Canine Companionship during Forensic Interviews Sigma Theta Tau International/Small Research Grant ($5,000) Norfolk, VA (Role: PI) 6/1/2012-5/31/2015.
(D) data driven
(MS) mentored student
- Krause-Parello, C.A., Friedmann, E. Blanchard, K., Payton, M., & Gee, N. (in-press 2020). Veterans and shelter dogs: Examining the impact of dog-walking intervention on physiological and post-traumatic stress symptoms. Anthrozoos, (D) (MS)
- Krause-Parello, C. A., Rice, M. J., Sarni, S., LoFaro, C., Niitsu, K., McHenry-Edrington, M., & Blanchard, K. (2019). Protective Factors for Suicide: A Multi-Tiered Veteran-Driven Community Engagement Project. Journal of Veterans Studies, 5(1), pp. 45–51. (MS)
- Boss, L., Branson, S., Hagan, H. & Krause-Parello, C., (2019). A Systematic Review of Equine-Assisted Interventions in Military Veterans Diagnosed with PTSD. Journal of Veterans Studies, 5(1), .23–33. (MS)
- Park, J., Krause-Parello, C. A., & Barnes, C. M. (January/February 2020). A narrative review of movement-based mind-body interventions: Effects of yoga, tai chi, and qigong for back pain patients. Holistic Nursing Practice, 34(1), 3-23. (MS)
- Flynn, L., Krause-Parello, C., Chase, S., Connelly, C., Decker, J., Duffy, S., Lapiz-Bluym, M.D., Walsh, P. and Weglicki, L. (2019). Toward Veteran-Centered Research: A Veteran-Focused Community Engagement Project. Journal of Veterans Studies, 4(2), pp.265–277. (D)
- Krause-Parello, C.A., Friedmann, E. Hatzfield, J., Morales, K., Wilson, C, & Kolassa, J. (2019). PTSD symptoms after aeromedical evacuation of military members: Relation of PTSD symptom severity to the efficacy of an animal-assisted intervention for stress reduction after military aeromedical evacuation. Stress and Health. https://doi.org/10.1002/smi.2881 (D) (MS)
- Krause-Parello, C. A., Gulick, E., Basin, B (2019). Loneliness, depression, and physical activity in older adults: The therapeutic role of human-animal interactions. Anthrozoos, 32(2), 239-254, DOI: 10.1080/08927936.2019.1569906 (I) (MS)
- Morales, K., Krause-Parello, C.A., Hatzfield, J., Simpson, M., Friedmann E., Kolassa, J, & Wilson C. (2019). Strategic Aeromedical Evacuation (AE): Examining Biological and Psychological Stress in AE Patients. Military Behavioral Health, DOI: 10.1080/21635781.2018.1543062 (D) (MS)
- Krause-Parello, C. A. (2018). Human-Animal Connections and Nursing Science: What is the Relationship? Nursing Science Quarterly, 31(3), 239-242. (I)
- Friedmann, E. & Krause-Parello, C. A. (2018). Companion animals and human health: benefits, challenges, and the road ahead of human-animal interaction and people’s health. OIE Scientific and Technical Review- Special Edition: The Contribution of Animals to Human Welfare, 37(1). 71-82. (I)
- Krause-Parello, C. A., Thames, M., Ray, C. M., & Kolassa, J. (2018). Examining the Effects of a Service-Trained Facility Dog on Stress in Children Undergoing Forensic Interview for Allegations of Child Sexual Abuse. Journal of Child Sexual Abuse, 1–16. https://doi.org/10.1080/10538712.2018.1443303 (D) (MS)
- Maughan, E.D., Cowell, J., Engelke, M.K., McCarthy, A.M., Bergren, M.D., Murphy, M.K., Barry, C., Krause-Parello, C. A., Luthy, K. B., Kintner, E.K., & Vessey, J.A. (2017). The vital role of school nurses in ensuring the health of our nation's youth. Nursing Outlook. Nov 24. pii: S0029-6554(17)30626-7. doi: 10.1016/j.outlook.2017.11.002. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 29331445.
- Krause-Parello, C. A., & Morales, K. (2018). Military Veterans and Service Dogs: A Qualitative Inquiry Using Interpretive Phenomenological Analysis. Anthrozoos (31)1, 65-75. (D) (MS)
- Eckardt, P., Culley, J.M., Corwin, E., Richmond, T., Dougherty, C., Pickler, R.H., Krause-Parello, C.A. Roye, C.F., Dykstra, J., & DeVon, H.A. (2017). National Nursing Science Priorities: Creating a Shared Vision. Nursing Outlook (65), 726-736.
- Krause-Parello, C. A., Levy, C., Holman, E., & Kolassa, J. (2016). Effects of VA Facility Dog on Hospitalized Veterans Seen by a Palliative Care Psychologist: An Innovative Approach to Impacting Stress Indicators. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 1-10. (D)
- DeVon, H., Rice, M., Pickler, R., Krause-Parello, C. A., Eckardt, P., Corwin, E., & S. Richmond, T. (2016). Engaging members and partner organizations in translating a nursing science agenda. Nursing Outlook Volume 64(5), 516–519.
- DeVon, H., Rice, M., Pickler, R., Krause-Parello, C. A., Richmond, T. (2016). Setting Nursing Science Priorities to Meet Contemporary Healthcare Needs. Nursing Outlook, 64(4), 399-40
- Krause-Parello, C.A., Sarni, S. & Padden, E. (2016). Military Veterans and Canine Assistance for Post- Traumatic Stress Disorder: A Narrative Review of the Literature. Nurse Education Today- Special Edition: Military, 43-50. (MS)
- Krause-Parello, C.A., & Kolassa, J. (2016). Pet Therapy: Enhancing Social and Cardiovascular Wellness in Community Dwelling Older Adults. Journal of Community Health Nursing, 33(1), 1-10. (D)
- Krause-Parello, C.A., & Gulick, E. (2015). Forensic Interviews for Child Sexual Abuse Allegations: An Investigation into the Effects of Animal-Assisted Intervention on Stress Biomarkers. Journal of Child Sexual Abuse, 24(8), 873-886. (D)
- Krause-Parello, C.A. (2015). Nurses Answer the Call to Enhance Veteran and Military Health. American Nurse Today, 10(5). (I)
Within the past 5 years
- Sharon Phillips Raddock Distinguished Professor in Holistic Health AY 2019-2020; AY 2020-2021
- Florida Nurses Association Icon Award Nursing Research, 2019
- Raise the Voice: Edge Runner,-C-P.A.W.W. American Academy of Nursing, 2017
- American Nurse Today’s Spirit of Caring Award One of Five Finalists, 2017
- The Rutgers School of Nursing Outstanding Alumnus Award, 2016
- Raise the Voice: Emerging Edge Runner-C-P.A.W.W. American Academy of Nursing, 2016
- School Nurse Educator of the Year, National Associate of School Nurses, 2016
- Fellowship in the American Academy of Nursing, October, 2015
- Denver Metro Regional Nightingale Luminary Award, 2015