Dr. Beth King's practice experience is in the area of mental health nursing and community nursing. Research experience is in the study of caring and education, focus groups and mental health issues.
Dr. King teaches in both the undergraduate and graduate program and is the RN-BSN Coordinator for the undergraduate program. She teaches undergraduate Mental Health Nursing and is a Board Certified Clinical Nurse Specialist in Adult Psychiatric & Mental Health and Certified HeartMath® Trainer. She also teaches courses in caring science at both the undergraduate and graduate program. She recently co-authored a book, Nursing Case Studies in Caring: Across the Practice Spectrum.
Dr. King's research interests are in the area of caring science and mental health issues. Her current research focuses on the assessment and measurement of depression and the use of HeartMath® as a nursing intervention. In addition, she is involved in research related to understanding the caring behavior of nursing students and methodology for teaching and evaluating caring science.
- 2014-2015: Relationship between Depression s Measured by the PHQ-9 and Other Variables of Patients at a Nurse Managed Community Center.
- 2014: The Experience of Nurse Faculty Teaching from Nursing Situations in a Caring-based Curriculum.
- 2013-2015: The Usefulness of the Caring Ability Inventory to Assess the Caring Ability of Undergraduate, Graduate and Doctoral Nursing
- 1992: Nurse Educator's Knowledge and Perception of Outcomes Assessment. Doctoral Dissertation
- 2015: A Pilot Study Using Random Control Trial to Study the Effectiveness of a HeartMath® Self-Regulation Program Intervention on the Resiliency, Anxiety, Fatigue, and Depression Levels of Parents or Guardians of Children Enrolled in a Head Start Program.
Funding Source: Florida Atlantic University.
- 2014: The Measurement of Caring as a Student Outcome in Nursing Education: A Descriptive Survey.
Funding Source: Sigma Theta Tau, Iota Xi Chapter.
- 2001: School Nurse Critical Thinking Skills/Competency Workshop
Funding Source: Area Health Education Center of Miami (AHEC).
- The Children's Trust Miami Dade County
2015: School Nurse Orientation Program
2012: Preparation for National School Nurse Certification Program
- Barry, C. D., Gordon, S. C., & King, B. M. (2015). .Nursing Case Studies in Caring: Across the Practice Spectrum. New York: Springer Publishing.
- Parker, M.E., Barry, C. D., & King, B. M. (2015). The development of a community nursing practice model. In M. Smith and M. Parker (Eds.), Nursing theories & nursing practice (4th ed., pp.435-447). Philadelphia: FA Davis.
- King, B. (2010). Nurse patient relationship theories: Peplau, Travelbee & Orlando. In Gordon, S.C. (Ed.). (2010). Instructors Manual for Nursing Theories and Nursing Practice. 3rd Edition Philadelphia: F.A. Davis. [Published]
Refereed, Data Based
- *Wolf, Z., King, B., France, N. (2015). Antecedent context and structure of communication during a caring moment: Scoping review and analysis. International Journal for Human Caring, 19(2), 7-21.
- *Barry, C.D., Lange, B. & King, B. (April, 2011). Women alive: Gathering underserved women upstream for a comprehensive breast health program. Southern Online Journal of Nursing Research (SOJNR). 11(1), Retrieved from http://www.resourcenter.net/images/SNRS/Files/SOJNR_articles2/Vol11Num01Art07.html
- *Kataoka, M. Kasuhiro, O., Massahito, T., Tanioka, T., Toshiko, T., King, B. (2014). Occupational stress and its related factors among university teachers in Japan. Health, 6(5), 299-305. Role: Editor
- *Kawamura, A., Tanioka, T., Toshiko, T., King, B. & Locsin, R. (2013). Collaborative agencies and quality discharge support for the long-term care in-patients with mental illness. The Journal of Medical Investigation, 60, 52-60. Role: Editor
- *Kataoka1, M. , Ozawa, K.. , Tanioka1 , T., Okuda K.,, Chiba,S., Tomotake , M., & and King, B. (2015). Gender differences of the influential factors on the mental health condition of teachers in the A university. The Journal of Medical Investigation, 62. 56-61. Role: Editor
- Tanioka, T., Fuji, S., Kataoka, M., King, B., Tomotake, M., Yasuhara, Y., Locsin, R., Sekido, K, & Mifune, K. (2012). Retrospective study of Japanese patients with Schizophrenia treated with Aripiprazole. International Scholarly Research Network, 2012, doi: 10.5402/2012/454898
- Barry, C.D., Lange, B. & King, B. (April, 2011). Women alive: Gathering underserved women upstream for a comprehensive breast health program. Southern Online Journal of Nursing Research (SOJNR). Data- Based Blind peer review.
- Gordon, S.C., Barry, C.D., Dunn, D.J., King, B. (May-June, 2011). Clarifying a vision for health literacy: A holistic school-based community approach. Holistic Nursing Practice, 25(3), 120-126. Blind peer review.
- Parker, M.E., Barry, C. & King, B. (2000). Use of inquiry group method for assessment and evaluation in a school-based community nursing project. Family and Community Health, 23(2), 54-61.
- 2008 Soroptimist Nominee: Nominated by the Debbie Rand Memorial Service League, Inc.
- 2004 Woman Volunteer of the Year Nominee: Nominated by the Boca Raton Historical Society
- 1989 Nurse of the Year, Iowa Nurses Association District 7
- PMHCNS-BC Clinical Nurse Specialist in Adult Psychiatric & Mental Health