Dr. Harris is certified family nurse practitioner with over a decade of experience in immunology and primary care. Her research focus is to determine the harmful health effects of blue-green algae blooms and other toxins to develop public health action and improve the health of persons living in this area. As a native of St. Lucie County, Dr. Harris has an innate understanding and passion for the people of this community.
Advanced Health Assessment
Foundations of Advanced Nursing Practice
Primary Care of Families: Comprehensive Advanced Nursing Practice
D.N.P. Project and Residency
- 2021-2022 The Florida Center for Coastal and Human Health – An Integrated View of Harmful Algal Bloom Events. Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute Foundation. Co-Investigator
- 2019-2020 Florida Department of Health research study grant; Long-Term Health Impacts of Harmful Algal Blooms
- 2018 - 2020 Florida Center for Coastal and Human Health Project: Human Health Assessment of Harmful Algae Blooms (HABs); Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute
- Harris, N. (2022). Pulmonology Disorders. In D. Hain & D. Bakerjian (Eds.), Textbook of Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nursing (Chapter 19). Springer
- Harris, N. (2022). Skin Lesions. In J. Winland-Brown & L.M. Hektor Dunphy (Eds.), Primary Care: the Art and Science of Advanced Practice Nursing – An Interprofessional Approach, 6th Edition (Chapter 17). F.A. Davis
- Harris, N., Harvey, Kathi V., Gordon, S., Alderman, P., Esposito, D., Reif, John S., & Schaefer, A. (2020). Algal Bloom Related Illness: Improving Health Outcomes in Primary Care. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, (16)9, October 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2020.06.019
- International Association for Human Caring, 41st Annual International Association for Human Caring (IAHC) Conference, Bergen, Norway, June 2020. This conference was change to a virtual format due to covid. Podium presentation: Caring for Persons and Environment: Response to Harmful Algae Bloom Exposure.
- Schaefer, A., Yrastorza, L., Stockley, N., Harvey, K., Harris, N., Grady, R., Sullivan, J., McFarland, M., & Reif, J. (2020). Exposure to microcystin among coastal residents during a cyanobacteria bloom in Florida. Harmful Algae, (92) https://doi.org/10/1016j.hal.2020.101769
- The Lived Experience of Persons Residing in Areas Affected by Harmful Algae Blooms (HABs) [Poster presentation]. (October, 2019). Annual Conference of the Nurse Practitioner Council of Palm Beach County, West Palm Beach.
- The Lived Experience of Persons Residing in Areas Affected by Harmful Algae Blooms (HABs) [Poster presentation]. (August, 2019). Florida Nurse Practitioner Network (FNPN) Annual Conference, Orlando, Florida. August 2019.
- 2019 Indian River Lagoon Symposium: Johnson Educational Center, Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute, Health Effects of Harmful Algae [Poster Presentation]. Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute, Fort Pierce.
- Murphy, N., Alderman, P., Harvey, K. & Harris, N. (2017). Women and Heart Disease: An Evidence-Based Update. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners (13)9.
• 2019 Florida Nurses Association Icon Award, Nurse Educator of the Year
• 2018 Award of Excellence, Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing, Northern Campus
• Scholarship award recipient: Community Engagement Healthcare Improvement
Conference, 9/2016 University of Texas, San Antonio.
• Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
• Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
• Board Certified, American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Family Practice
• American Association of Nurse Practitioners
• Florida Nurse Practitioner Association
• HANDS Clinic of St. Lucie County, Board of Directors
• Treasure Coast Nurse Practitioner Council, Planning Board
• St. Lucie County Medical Reserve Corps
• Nurse Practitioner Council of Palm Beach County
- DNP, Florida Atlantic Univeristy
- MSN, Florida Atlantic University
- BSN, Florida Atlantic University
Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing
We are dedicated to providing you with the best possible customer experience, so please share your honest feedback.