Marlaine C. Smith, RN, PhD, AHN-BC, FAAN
Dean and Helen K. Persson Eminent Scholar
Websites are vehicles to assist us in coming to know an organization. I extend a warm welcome to you as you enter this portal and begin to come to know Florida Atlantic Univeristy's Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing.
In 2011 we celebrated our 30th Anniversary, and in March of that year I was selected as the second dean of this very special College. We are known for our dedication to caring in nursing: expanding the science, studying its meaning, practicing the art and living it day-to-day. Our strong values give us identity, direction and purpose. As we’ve grown, we’ve distinguished ourselves through our educational programs, research, practice and service missions. Some examples are:
- MSN and DNP programs ranked 46th and 44th by US News and World Report. Online graduate program ranked 42nd in the US by US News and World Report.
- A unique, caring-based nursing curriculum that incorporates the latest recommendations from Carnegie Foundation Report and the Institute of Medicine competencies for health professions education.
- A “green” building designed to reflect our commitment to holism and caring-healing environments.
- One of the largest graduate enrollment of any College of Nursing in the state of Florida and the first Doctor of Nursing Practice program in the State to receive accreditation from CCNE.
- One of the most diverse nursing programs in the country, with half of our students from underrepresented ethnic minority groups.
- A prestigious faculty generating about $3,000,000 in external funding, 15 highly-regarded nursing textbooks, with twelve fellows in the American Academy of Nursing, five fellows in the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners and the National Academies of Practice, several Fulbright Scholars, and two Robert Wood Johnson Executive Nursing Fellows.
- Externally-funded research on health equity, holistic health, healthy aging and transforming care environments.
- Awarding about $1 million in student scholarships, traineeships and stipends.
- The first college to preserve scholarly works of caring in nursing in on-site archives.
- Two nursing centers with one providing care to those experiencing memory loss and the other offering holistic primary care to an underserved community.
I invite you to tour our home online and then plan to visit us in person.
We have so much to be proud of, and we look forward to a bright future as we live our commitment to caring!