Using the Archives
General Access Policies
- Access to the Archives of Caring in Nursing is available by appointment to anyone with a bona fide research interest in Caring, or an interest in the life or work of one or more of the Caring Scholars whose papers are archived.
- Visits must be scheduled in advance.
- Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
- The Archives strives to open as much of its holdings to research use as possible. Restrictions may apply to unprocessed materials.
- Portions of collections may be restricted in order to comply with laws and regulations governing privacy or confidentiality, or to honor requests of individual donors. Researchers will be informed of any restrictions governing the use of material they request.
- The Archives maintains a public email box for responding to general queries. Please refer to the List of Collections for information about our holdings and specific items of interest; submit a statement of your research topic to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Hours and Location
The Archives of Caring in Nursing is located in the Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing, Room 114, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton. The College's normal business hours are 8:30 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. Archives access is by appointment only; contact the Curator at email@example.com or 561-297-2883.
- The College is closed for official University holidays.
- Directions to the Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing, http://www.fau.edu/explore/campuses.php
- The building is handicap-accessible.
Preparing for a Visit
- Researchers must make an appointment prior to visiting the Archives. Walk-in researchers cannot be accommodated. For an appointment, contact the Curator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-297-2883.
- Before visiting, researchers should consult online finding aids located on the List of Collections page. For materials not listed, please contact the Curator at email@example.com or 561-297-2883.
- Researchers are requested to complete and submit the Archives Research Application prior to their visit, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Use of Materials
- The Archives contains books, pamphlets, and other bound materials; paper manuscripts, research notes and records, and correspondence; photographic and video materials in various formats; and audio recordings.
- Use of the materials will be on site only, by appointment, with no borrowing permitted.
- The Caring Scholars' papers are generally archived only in their original form, i.e. paper. Some items may be available for use only in reproduced form, where fragility or heavy use is a factor, for example.
- Any reproduction of material in the collections of the Archives of Caring in Nursing is at the discretion of the curator and is subject to the provisions of copyright law (Title 17 U.S.C.) Fragile and damaged materials cannot be photocopied but may be photographed or scanned subject to the approval of the curator.
- Orders may be placed by on-site visitors, by mail, e-mail, or fax. The cost for photocopies or scans of documents is $1.00/page.
- All photocopies and scanning are completed by Archives staff. No color photocopies or scans are currently available.
- Copying is completed as time permits. Please discuss any time constraints with the Curator when placing your order.
- Use of the items requires citation of the source, in the following format: <name of collection>, <folder or item number>, Archives of Caring in Nursing, Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing, Florida Atlantic University. For example, "Sr. M. Simone Roach Papers, folder 76, Archives of Caring in Nursing, Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing, Florida Atlantic University."
Payment for Copies
- The cost is $1.00/page ( $10 minimum charge ). Postage/handling is included in the cost of the order, unless expedited shipping is required.
- Payment must be received prior to shipment. No credit card payments for copy orders are handled at the present time.
- Please make check payable to: Florida Atlantic University
Mail check to:
Archives of Caring in Nursing, NU84-301
Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing
P.O. Box 3091
Boca Raton, FL 33431-0991
For further questions about ordering photocopies or document scans, please contact the Curator, at email@example.com or 561-297-2883.