- Health Assessment in Nursing Situations
- Advanced Health Assessment
- Primary Care of the Family: Comprehensive Advanced Nursing Practice
- Health Disparities Among Indigenous Guatemalan Mayan Women
- Access to Cervical Cancer Screening for Indigenous Guatemalan Mayan Women
- Older adults in the indigenous Maya population in Guatemala, who have diabetes and have or are at risk for kidney disease
A nutrition-based nursing intervention for older Guatemalan indigenous Maya who have diabetes
Past Funded Research:
- Testing digital storytelling as an intervention to reduce stress in adolescent females (funded)
- The lived experience of adolescent females who self-injure by cutting (funded)
- The use of digital storytelling as voice and caring intervention for adolescent females who self-injure (funded)
Other research interests
- The health of the global community
Studying domestic violence and female genital mutilation of women in Africa and U.S.
- Lesniak, R. (2005). Caring through Technological Competency. The Journal of School Nursing, 21(4), 194-195. doi:10:1177/10598405050210040201
- Lesniak, R. (2008). Self-injury behavior: How can nurses help? Journal of Christian Nursing, 25(4), 186-195.
- Lesniak, R. (2008). Tinea incognito. Dermatology Nursing, 20(5), 403-404. doi: 1060-3441
- Lesniak, R. (2008). Cutaneous larva migrans. Dermatology Nursing, 20(6), 471-472. doi: 1060-3441
- Lesniak, R. (2009). Expanding the role of women as nurses during the American Civil War. Advances in Nursing Science.
32(1), 33-42. doi: 10.1097/01.ANS.0000346285.14483.74
- Lesniak, R. & Mareno, K. (2009). Three Case Studies of Herpes Zoster. Dermatology Nursing, 21(4), 211-213.
- Mareno, K. & Lesniak, R. (2010). Intertrigo. Dermatology Nursing,22(1). doi: 1060-3441.
- Goodman Lesniak, R. (2010). The lived experience of adolescent females who self-injure by cutting. Advanced Emergency Nursing Journal, 32(2), 137-147. doi: 1931-4485
- Goodman, R. & Vitous, T. (2010). Hot tub folliculitis, Dermatology Nursing, 22(3),47-49. doi: 1060-3441
- Goodman Lesniak, R. (2010). What's your assessment? (Grover Disease) Dermatology Nursing,22(2), 15-16.
- Goodman, R. & Hollimon, D. (2010). Allergic contact dermatitis. Dermatology Nursing, 22(4), 26-28 .doi: 1060-3441
- Goodman, R., (2010). What's your assessment? (Impetigo/Ecthyma). Dermatology Nursing, 22(5), 12-14.
- Park, J., McCaffrey, R. Dunn, D., & Goodman, R. Managing osteoarthritis: Comparisons of chair yoga, reiki, and education (2011). Holistic Nursing Practice. November/December, 316-326. DOI: 10.1097/HNP.0b013e318232c5f9
- Goodman, R. (2013). Using digital storytelling as voice for adolescent females who self-injure. International Journal for Human Caring.
- Goodman, R. & Newman, D. (2014). Testing storytelling as intervention to reduce stress in Adolescent females. Storytelling, Self Society, 10(2). 179-195.
Goodman, R. (2016). The lived experience of graduate nursing students in a study abroad cultural immersion in Guatemala. International Journal of Human Caring 20(2). 88-92.
- Barry, C. D., King, B. M., Goodman, R. L., Gullet, D. & Grumme, V. (2015). Coming to know a community: A community assessment in rural Haiti. In M. A.Ray's (Ed.) Transcultural caring dynamics in nursing and health care (2nd ed.). Philadelphia: F.A. Davis. (in press)
- Goodman, R. (2018). Culturally-specific guidelines for primary care in rural Guatemala. Columbus, Ohio: The Educational Publisher, Inc.
- Heroes in Medicine Award -Health Care Educator -2019
- 2019 Florida Nurses Association South Region Nurse of the Year
- 2019 FAU Presidential Leadership Award for Community Engagement in Service
- FAU Inaugural Presidential Award for Community Engagement in Teaching - 2017
- FAU Faculty Advisor of the Year Award – 2017 – Student Nurses Association Faculty Advisor
- Fellow of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners – inducted June 2017
- 2016 Omicron Delta Kappa
- 2015 Excellence and Innovation in Undergraduate Teaching Award
- 2014 Barnes and Noble Faculty Service Award
- 2013 Florida's 100 Great Nurses
- 2013 Distinguished Teacher of the Year
- 2013 Palm Healthcare Foundation Nurse of the Year
- 2013 Palm Healthcare Foundation Educator of the Year
- October 4, 2013 Induction into the Hall of Fame of South Houston High School
- 2011 American Nurses Foundation Research Grant - ANF Scholar
- 2010 National Association of School Nurses Research Grant
- 2008 Florida Nurses Foundation Edna Hicks Research Grant
- National Board for Certification of School Nurses 2002 and 2007 NBCSN Award for promoting professional development and national certification for school nurses
- Nursing Spectrum 2003 "Nurse of the Year" for the Florida region in the "Other" category as a school nurse
- New York Times 2004 New York Times "Excellence in Nursing" Award
- Boca Raton Regional Hospital 2005 "Nova" Administration Commendation Award
- Florida Atlantic University 2005 Talon Award Nominee
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Founder and President of The Center for Community Wellness at Katete/St. Mary's, Inc., a 501 (c)(3) corporation established to promote and support community-based education and access to health care for children residing in Southwestern Uganda.
- PhD - Florida Atlantic University
- MS in Nursing - Florida Atlantic University
- MA in Theological and Biblical Studies - Knox Theological Seminary
- BSN - Houston Baptist University
- ANCC Board Certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner
- Nationally Board Certified School Nurse
- Nationally Board Certified Advanced Holistic Nurse
- FCN - Faith Community Nurse
- Certified American National Red Cross Nurse
- Academic Qualification in International Medicine and Public Health
- Academic Qualification in Helping Babies Breathe