Joseph G. Ouslander, M.D. is a Professor of Clinical Biomedical Science and Associate Dean for Geriatric Programs in the Charles E. Schmidt College of Biomedical Science at Florida Atlantic University. He also serves as Professor of Medicine (Voluntary) and Assistant Dean for Geriatric Education at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine (UMMSM); Associate Director, Division of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine Department of Medicine, UMMSM; and Professor (Courtesy) at the Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing at Florida Atlantic University. In addition to these responsibilities, Dr. Ouslander serves as the Deputy Editor of the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. Dr. Ouslander also serves as a consultant to numerous organizations including the Georgia Medical Care Foundation (the Medicare Quality Improvement Organization for Georgia) and the Loring Institute for Geriatric Research & Education at MorseLife in West Palm Beach Florida.
Dr. Ouslander's primary areas of research interest are long-term care quality, as well as conditions that impair the quality of life for older people including urinary incontinence, falls, and sleep disorders. With the support of several National Institute on Aging, VA, Agency for Health Care Research and Quality, and Foundation grants, he has published over 200 original articles and book chapters, as well as edited special volumes on these topics. He has served as a consultant to numerous organizations and has been on several national and international panels focusing on these issues, including co-chairing a multi-organization panel that produced a national Consensus Statement and Policy Recommendations on Mental Health Care in Nursing Homes in 2003. He is a co-author of Essentials of Clinical Geriatrics and Medical Care in the Nursing Home, and an editor of Principles of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology.
Dr. Ouslander has also been on the faculty of the UCLA School of Medicine and the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Dr. Ouslander was a Professor of Medicine and Nursing at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. He serves as the Director of the Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, Chief Medical Officer of Wesley Woods Center, and Director of the Emory Center for Health in Aging. At the Atlanta VA Medical Center, he serves as a research scientist in the Birmingham/Atlanta VA Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, and a faculty member in the Geriatrics and Extended Care Service. He also serves as a clinical consultant to the Georgia Medical Care Foundation, the Medicare Quality Improvement Organization for Georgia, where he collaborates with the home health and nursing home teams to improve the quality of care provided to Medicare beneficiaries.
Dr. Ouslander served on the Board of Directors of the American Geriatrics Society (AGS) and as an Associate Editor of the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society for ten years. In 1999-2000 he served as the President of AGS, and as its Board Chair in 2000-2001. He currently serves on the Boards of the AGS Foundation for Health in Aging and the Florida affiliate of the American Federation for Aging Research, He has lectured extensively at national and international meetings, including visiting professorships lecturing on these topics in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, China, Turkey, Singapore, and Israel.
- Geriatric urinary incontinence and overactive bladder
- Quality of care for geriatric patients
- Geriatric falls
- Geriatric insomnia
Recent PublicationsSelected peer-reviewed publications (selected from over 200 publications)
- Ouslander JG, Griffiths PC, McConnell E, Riolo L, Kutner M, Schnelle J: Functional Incidental Training: A Randomized, Controlled, Crossover Trial in Veterans Affairs Nursing Homes. JAGS 53:1091-1100, 2005.
- Ouslander, JG, Griffiths PC, McConnell E, Riolo L, Kutner M, Schnelle J: Functional Incidental Training: Applicability and Feasibility in the Veterans Affairs Nursing Home Patient Population. JAMDA 2005; 6:121-127.
- Ouslander JG, Connell BR, Bliwise DL, Endeshaw Y, Griffiths P, Schnelle J: A Non-Pharmacological Intervention to Improve Sleep in Nursing Home Patients: Results of a Controlled Clinical Trial. JAGS 54:38-47, 2006.
- Schnelle JF, Ouslander JG, Simmons SF: Direct Observations of Nursing Home Care Quality: Does Care Change When Observed? J Amer Med Dir Assn 7:541-544, 2006.
- Johnson TM and Ouslander JG, The Newly Revised F-Tag 315 and Surveyor Guidance for Urinary Incontinence in Long-Term Care. J Amer Med Dir Assn 7:594-600, 2006.
- Rask K, Parmelee P, Taylor JA, Green, D, Brown H, Hawley, J, Schild, L, Strothers III HS, Ouslander JG: Implementation and Evaluation of a Fall Management Program. JAGS 55: 342-349, 2007.
- Zarowitz BJ, Ouslander JG, The Application of Evidence-Based Principles of Care in Older Person (Issue 6): Urinary Incontinence. J Amer Med Dir Assn 8:35-45, 2007.
- T aylor JA, Parmelee P, Brown H, Strothers III HS, Capezuti E, Ouslander JG: A Model Program for the Management of Falls in Long-Term Care Facilities. J Amer Med Dir Assn 8:S26-S36, 2007.
- Ouslander JG: Quality Improvement Initiatives for Urinary Incontinence in Nursing Homes. J Amer Med Dir Assn 8:S6-S11, 2007.
- Ouslander JG, Petry, G, and Besdine, RW: Quality Improvement in Nursing Homes: A Call to Action. J Amer Med Dir Assn 8:138-141, 2007.
- Phi Beta Kappa - John Hopkins University, 1973
- National Collegiate Athletic Association, Postgraduate Scholarship, 1973
- Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, 1977
- National Institute on Aging/NIH Academic Award (Five Year Career Development Award), 1982 - 1987
- National Institute on Aging/NIH MERIT Award (Method to Extend Research in Time), 1990 - 1999
- American Journal of Nursing, 1997 Book of the year Award (for Medical Care in the Nursing Home), 1997
- President/Chairman of the Board, American Geriatrics Society, 1999 - 2001
- Polisher Award for Applied Gerontological Research, 2000
- National Institute on Aging Career Leadership Award, 2001 - 2005
- National Association for Continence Champion Award, 2003
- John Hopkins University, B.A.,1973 Natural Science
- Case Western Reserve University, M.D., 1977, Medicine
- Board Certification - Internal Medicine (1980); Geriatric Medicine (2000)
- Fellowship in Geriatric Medicine - UCLA (1980-82)
- Residency in Internal Medicine - Case Western Reserve (1977-1980)